Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Greetings, everyone! I'm new here, been doing web programming on and off for many years, now getting back into it. The current site I'm working on uses frames, and I have a dilemma. I'm having a helluva time getting one of my frames to reload the page in another frame, or "refresh" it.

Basically, I have two frames, a top frame and a bottom frame. The page in the top frame does not change. It's a PHP page that queries a database to fill a SELECT box. Pretty standard stuff. Also in the top frame is a link to a page (targeted to the bottom frame) with a form that, once filled out, adds more info to my database. What I'd like is when the data is added successfully and I display the appropriate page, I would like this page to automatically make the page in the top frame reload, or refresh so the SELECT box is updated to reflect the new info.

I've tried various forms of Javascript, META redirection, and I just can't get it to work.

I have a basic setup that kind of shows what I'm wanting to happen. It's very basic and is for demonstration purposes only, as I don't currently have a host that handles PHP/MySQL content. All I'm using right now is my small space with Charter.

So, I would forever grateful if someone could take a look and hopefully help me get this to work. Here's the test page:

http://webpages.charter.net/jmccon/temp/index.html

Thanks in advance!

James

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Could you, perhaps, re-load the whole frameset when you submit your form?

Not sure where you find a frames guru these days... you'll probably find that many of the folks on here, like me, have not used frames with a vengeance for a while as they tend to be more trouble (as you're discovering) than they're worth.

Sean

Member #
    Hehe, yeah, they are getting rather troublesome. Part of my problem is that I'm not that good with layout and design. I plan on looking into another forum on this site that apparently deals with issues like that. I know how to make my stuff work, not make it look good.

Anyway, I don't think reloading the entire frameset would work, because that would also refresh the page that adds the content to the database (from POST), and I would then be dealing with duplicate information, and I think it would be more work than it's worth than coding to prevent that just so I can get frames to work.

Maybe I should look at a new layout. Thanks for the info, though, much appreciated!

James

Remove Ads