Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Please bear with me here. I've worked with HTML before, but compared to most here, am a rank amateur.

If I have a web page whose main interest would be the links found thereon (let's say lots and lots and lots of interesting, hard-to-find links) ...

I understand you can't make the source code for the links "copy proof," but any simple ideas on how to make it either difficult to do, or not worth it for most people?

For instance...

Is there any way I could add certain words or info to each link line that wouldn't affect its use, but yet would make a whole lot of work for someone who just copied everything in order to repost on another page without first taking out all the extra info in each link line. (If they didn't I might be able to prove plagarism). Make sense? Any other ideas?

Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Er... I don't know how you would go about this, but there's something to keep in mind when thinking of doing this, and that's what a web page is for as a medium. Namely, the fact that a web page is to serve your user, not you. The languages used to code on the web reflect that, by making things like this difficult to do without nasty hacks.

If your page's main interest is the links found on there, which are, by your own description, interesting and hard-to-find, why would you want to keep those links to yourself?

Member #
    Easy, set up the script, something like redirect.pl?linkid=.....
    Store links in the database and redirect to appropriate link on request.
    Check referrer field and require it to be your site's page.

The problem is how to deal with blank referrer, depends on your policy.

Anyway it's easy to crack, write a program that goeas thru your page and 'clicks' on the links (senddts HTTP request).

No matter what technicque you would use, FINALLY the user or a robot gets on the page you were intending to link to, and he can grab its URL.

Member #
    Ravenn's idea works quite well.

It also may be to your advantage to use a SQL database so you could set it up so that all the links could be updated dynamically.

If you'd like some code writing, I'd be happy to do it. Contact me if you're interested.
    Phleetside v2: More content, less ugly
    Go to it

Member #
    Thanks for the offer. Will keep the info and consider when the time comes.

Shadow, I do want users to use and enjoy the links. I also want to make it as difficult as possible to view source code/copy/paste the links and then start a competing page. It's not the individual links that are important, it's the sheer number of them that have been gathered together on one website. I've worked on this for 2 years now, and there's no other site that comes close. Figured I might as well try to protect my investment of time as long as possible, at least until I have a good flow of traffic, at which time it would be more difficult for a copy/paste competitor to catch up.

I know they're "only" links. But links lead to information, good links lead to good information, and information is power.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    As others have suggested the key to this is to store the actual links on the server rather than on the client.

I agree with the others, as well, that holding the information on a database would be a prudent idea.

An example database design (at its simplest) could be....
    Code:
    Link Name    : VARCHAR
    Link Number  : INT      (ideally auto-incremented)
    Link Address : VARCHAR

Sample Data:
    "Save the Tibetan Gerbil Campaign", 1, "sttgc.com"
    "BBC News", 2, "bbc.co.uk/news"
    "Cheesy Website Designers of Chorley", 3, "cwd-chorley.co.uk"
    You could then have two php pages... links.php and direct.php, let's say.

links.php would loop through the links and would use the link name and number to create a hyperlink for each...
    Code:
    <a href="direct.php?id=1>Save the Tibetan Gerbil Campaign</a>
    <a href="direct.php?id=2>BBC News</a>
    <a href="direct.php?id=3>Cheesy Website Designers of Chorley</a>
    direct.php would then use the link number supplied to fetch the link address from the database and use a php function something like...
    Code:
    (code to get address from d/b using passed id here)
    header("Location: http://" . $linkAddress);
    ...to send the user to your desired location.

Because the link destination is never displayed to the client, until they get there, it would make life difficult for your opposition.

Hope that is of help,

Sean

Member #
    Thanks again for the input. Will look into it. The last forum I was on just laughed me off.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindig
    Thanks again for the input. Will look into it. The last forum I was on just laughed me off.
    Well, as it turns out, coders are known for being elitist. It's a rather annoying trait, in general.

Remove Ads