Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Is there some way to load and use a font file located in the website directory just incase a person's comp doesn't have that particular font with CSS or/and maybe javascript?

-mellian

Member #
    Im not sure if it would work if you uploaded a font file but i dont know, im just guessing at that one. Someone with more experience would beable to tell you.

But you could list a number of fonts using CSS so if the persons computer doesn't have the first font listed it moves onto the next one on the list etc.etc.

body {
    font-family: verdana, arial, times, serif;
    }

(make the list bigger if you want)
    I don't know if that helps but the viewers computer must have at least one of those fonts installed on the CSS list.
    ----------
    Steve

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jagstangman
    I don't know if that helps but the viewers computer must have at least one of those fonts installed on the CSS list.
    Yes, hence why I would like to be load/install a particular unique font so I do not have to constantly create graphic/image versions of it for the header and menu.

I know when someone goes to a site, their computer/browser at temporally downloads all the needed files to be able to view the sites, I am just wondering if it can be done with a font file.

That, or maybe like how they load a cookie onto one's computer, can load install a new font file in their font directory under windows with javascript?

-mellian

Member #
    oh, you want a font that isn't standard on everyone's computer. Ok, well im not too sure but on some sites ive seen a promp download box to download a font needed to view the text on the site because it was a unique font.
    ----------
    Steve

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    It is highly recommended by most professionals I know to use standard fonts for the majority of a web site's content. The custom font usually comes into play for headings and sub-headings on sites.

You can try the old technique of embedding fonts that was once introduced around the days of IE 4. This may still work with all current browsers. Be sure to look into that.

I think you may find that custom fonts can only be seen with flash and other image or multimedia formats. Sorry to disappoint, but nothing is ever perfectly easy to do.
    Cheers, zionlocke :chinese:
    Links: Zion Creation | Blog

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by zionlocke
    You can try the old technique of embedding fonts that was once introduced around the days of IE 4. This may still work with all current browsers. Be sure to look into that.
    Yes, I am trying this annoying WEFT ( http://www.microsoft.com/typography/...bedding/weft3/ ) program, but the embedded font doesn't work... It converts font files into these .eot files which supposely loads from the server.

I think you may find that custom fonts can only be seen with flash and other image or multimedia formats. Sorry to disappoint, but nothing is ever perfectly easy to do.
    Yes, which I am trying to find a more simple and flexible alternative. Flash text would have worked, but doesn't seem to allow transparent background, grrrr.

-mellian

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    As far as I know, I'm afraid there's no way to do this. It can be annoying, but at the end of the day most standard fonts are easier on the eyes. Plus, well-chosen header images with alternate text can be a perfectly good alternative to header text on its own. Just remember that often such images do better, size-wise, as GIFs.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfiend
    Just remember that often such images do better, size-wise, as GIFs.
    Not quality wise.

-mellian

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Actually, it depends. If you add in antialiasing, you're right, you're probably better off going with a PNG or a JPEG. But without antialiasing, GIFs can do just fine, since their limited palette (256 max colors, as it were) doesn't factor in. Even with antialiasing it may still do it, depending on how many different colors are involved.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I remember racking my brain two years ago trying to do this very same thing.. But unfortunatly I have found there simply is no way to do this in a practical manner..

Either, browsers do not support it, or certin font typs wont work across platforms, or forcing users to download and install fonts, and quite frankly many fonts cost money and if there were a way to do this, you practically are giving fonts away wich is somthing many companies do not want you doing.

Maybe someday a system might exist that actually works on a practical level, but until then there isnt one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads