Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Good day everybody! I have a somewhat cheeky question about hyperlinks that open up directories on your own computer. This is a strange scenario indeed, and I'm not expecting a straight forward answer. Anyhow... the story goes...

The company that I work for has an online library interface that allows you to check out company documents to a copy directory on your computer. The interface is completely web-based and has a link within it that can be clicked to quickly access your copy directory. When the copy directory appears in a new window, the icons of the files always appear in "icon view." As you may know, Windows XP has several different view modes for directories, and we would like the directory to always appear in "details view."

When you change the view mode to "details view" on your own computer, it always appears in that view when you access it via My Computer... but when you access the directory from a hyperlink, the directory always appears in "icon view" no matter what you change the default view to on your computer.

This leads me to believe that the reason it appears in icon view has something to do with the coding in the hyperlink on the site. I am a mere student intern, so I do not have access to the code on the site, but if anyone knows the way to properly write a directory hyperlink so that it appears in "details view" I would very much appreciate some insight. My web design skills are very limited, and I have no idea where to start.

Again, this may very well be a wild goose chase... but if any of you distinguished web designers have any insight into this scenario, I would very much appreciate some words of advice. Cheers!

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    It's an issue with the PC, not the hyperlink. Sounds like there's a rule somewhere within the PC that whenever a folder is opened with IE it has a different default view.

I just tried something. I opened c:\ in windows (Default was detailed list). Changed to Thumbnails, then opened c:\ in IE. It opened in detailed list. Closed all windows, opened c:\ in IE again, opened in thumbnails by itself.

Close all windows (IE / windows folders, etc.) then try the link again.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Remove Ads