Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Iím having a problem with the character encoding of HTML files produced using Microsoft Word. When I view the local files in a web browser they display fine. However, when I post the file and view it on the web, the both Firefox and Explorer show the wrong character encoding. The web page loads with the encoding Unicode UFT-8 that makes it display incorrectly. If you manually change the encoding to Western it displays fine.

See, for example:
    http://www.cjc.ca/uroproject/guide/B...atement-en.htm

What I canít understand is that the character set is clearly specified in the head of the
    HTML as follows:
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">

Why are the browsers ignoring this? Iíve tried changing this line to other encodings such as charset=iso-8859-1 but the browser still displays in Unicode when the page loads.

Please help! I have no idea why this is happening or what can be done about it.

Thanks,
    Avi

Member #
    Firstly why are you creating a website in Micosoft Word, it adds loads of extra code which is not needed and just slows the page down. I'm not sure exactly what the problem is but i think it might be something to do with this section:
    Code:
    @font-face
    	{font-family:"Book Antiqua";
    	panose-1:2 4 6 2 5 3 5 3 3 4;
    	mso-font-charset:0;
    	mso-generic-font-family:roman;
    	mso-font-pitch:variable;
    	mso-font-signature:647 0 0 0 159 0;}
    Try playing around with this, remove bits, change bits and see if you can get it to work.

Member #
    Forget Word for making web pages. It bloats it with far to much rubbish and incompatible code. There are numerous html editors out there. The best is Dreamweaver in my opinion but there are loads of free ones also.
    Paul Creedy
    Visit my community site at: www.rhonddacynontaff.com
    My hosting: www.rcthosting.com
    My Content Management product: www.dynamiccontenteditor.com

Member #
    Yes, I'm aware that MS Word is a bad way to make web pages, but the documents are being created by the translator who is not HTML savvy. Every page in the site besides these translated documents will be in hand written HTML. It would be a lot of extra work to recode the Word documents which have already been created so I'm trying to work with them.

Any further thoughts on the character encoding problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Avi

Quote Originally Posted by Mr C
    Forget Word for making web pages. It bloats it with far to much rubbish and incompatible code. There are numerous html editors out there. The best is Dreamweaver in my opinion but there are loads of free ones also.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Oh good lord... Word thinks it uses XHTML and then goes and writes unquoted attribute values?

*cries*

Sorry, off-topic, I don't actually know how to fix the problem.

Remove Ads