Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello Everyone!!!

Faced with difficulties in making a table rollover effect i decided to try to make a tree-like menu in pure html (at least one software producer claims to offer this chance):

http://software.xfx.net/utilities/dmbuilder/samples.htm (in the simple category)

I exported the menu in this programme and can see that there IS some javascript in it (I DO NOT WANT TO HAVE ANY JAVASCRIPT IN THE MAIN NAVIGATION cos the spiders will not see the links). I am attaching the exported tree menu. Can you pls take a look at it and tell me if it will be safe to use such menu in terms of search engine visibility? I also wanted to learn if it can be possible to have some of the sections expanded BY DEFAULT so that i have a ready navigation system for my site (i will only need to have different headings expanded for differing sections of my site)....

All comments are huuuuugelly appppreciated!!!!!!!!!!!

Dima

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Stuff like this pretty much requires JS. Point being, the code used there will still let spiders get the links.

Member #
    thank you very much!!!! I am cofused slightly....on the site of the software developers it says that it is PURE html menu which will let the priders have their links....but i also hear that javascript doesnt allow them to see the links....can you please tell me why in this case the links will be visible even if the menu contains some JAVASRIPT....pls bear with me...I am very new to all this stuff....many thanks!!!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    The reason it probably says that it is pure HTML is because the menu is always in HTML. Javascript is used to expand and collapse elements, but the code for the links is already on the page. If the Javascript actually sends you to a link, this doesn't work. This is generally done through an onclick attribute. In this case, however, you're still using a elements for links, and Javascript doesn't insert them into the page, they're already there.

The problem spiders have is that they can't actually run Javascript. So if you have to actually *run* the script in order to create the links, then you have a problem. If the only thing the script does is change the appearance, as opposed to create the links, then you're fine. Yours does the latter.

Member #
    thank you so much for an expanded reply,,,,,begining to love this place....

Member #
    Just to clarify...the text decribing this menu on the webpage is as follows (i am not advertising this software in the least....sorry):
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
    This sample demonstrates the ability of DHTML Menu Builder to generate tree-like menus. This type of menus are ideal to be used as sitemaps so search engines can properly crawl your web site contents.
    Because the menus generated by DHTML Menu Builder are created using javascript, search engines cannot find the links to navigate your web site; by providing a text-based sitemap, as the one on the left, will allow search engines to use the links in the sitemap to properly scan your whole web site.As you can see, the tree-like menus are not only useful but can also be customized to match your web site's style.

To generate a sitemap with DHTML Menu Builder simply click File->Export As HTML
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I am nore intersted in this paragraph:

<<<Because the menus generated by DHTML Menu Builder are created using javascript, search engines cannot find the links to navigate your web site; by providing a text-based sitemap, as the one on the left, will allow search engines to use the links in the sitemap to properly scan your whole web site>>>

other menus generated by this software also use the javascript but somehow make the links invisible.....the code of these menues can also be seen in pure html format....pls help me reach the truth )...I can understand that spiders can have problems running jajvscrip generated links where you see javascript instead of simple hyperlinks. But here they contrast the menus which both have javascript in them and yet one (tree-based) will allow the spiders crawl your site and the others will not....strange

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Basically, when a search engine looks at your site, it doesn't run anything, it just reads the page as a text file. Then it anayzes it to find links, important words, etc. In the tree you're using, the Javascript changes the appearance of certain things to make them visible or invisible; however, they're alway *in the code*. So, when the search engine opens the page up as text, it can find the links.

Other menu builders are slightly different. They actually generate the HTML for the menu itself, instead of just changing the visibility of code that is already on the page, so when the search engine opens it as a text file, all it finds is the Javascript which generates the HTML (which it can't make sense of) and a page without links on it (so it doesn't follow the links).

Did that make more sense?

Member #
    Thank you very much for detailed reply Shadowfiend. I want to learn if such menu can be customized in any HTML editor so that any of the submenues is expanded by DEFAULT. This way i can quickly make the menus specific for all sections of my future site.

Thanks again for your help!!!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Having them expanded by default will require a little bit of Javascript, as far as I can tell.

Remove Ads