Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I've tried to figure this out on my own, but I can't seem to figure it out. I have never had any formal training in the area of css and need help making a two cloumn and three column spread for the content in the design I'm working on. I can't use float tags with what I have made. Any ideas or code changes to suggest?

http://www.zioncreation.com/new/
    Cheers, zionlocke :chinese:
    Links: Zion Creation | Blog

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Oy... columns without floating... I've heard horror stories. I get the feeling it's not really doable, but I'll let someone else answer who knows more about this particular area.

And don't worry, a lot of us haven't had `formal training' in the areas of any of the languages we know ;-).

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Any perticular reason as to why you cannot use float? You do not perticurly need float to do either of these but it does help. Do you need a header and/or footer? Do you need the columns to go all the way to the bottom, or at least appear to? Faux columns is the simplest solution that comes to mind. An excellent article was written by Dany Cederholm on alistapart.com on the subject.

You would then take advantage of css positioning to apply your sections in the approperate area(s).

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    That doesn't help at all. I want to find the way to make three columns the exact same height without faking it. Has anyone figured this one out?

Edit: I added the text into the side bar. You can see it neglect pushing the hieght of the divs it is nested in down. I'm starting to wonder why people like css so much. I love it, but this problem has started to really nag me. I'll leave the text in the left column. If anything on the page starts getting weird besides that, it's because I'm changing things.

Edit 2: Why does it have to work in IE6 but not firefox?!?!?!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    From what I have gathered, this is technically impossible with the current technologies. CSS3 will introduce columned layouting of text, but in the meantime I believe faked heights are it.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Probably because IE fails life, as usual. Seriously, the float property stops the div from expanding the containing div, as it should. If IE is rendering it extending the div, then IE is wrong in its implementation.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Yeah I read about the CSS3 deal too. I guess that I might need to use tables for my main content. I know some don't like the idea, but I could still be xhtml 1.0 transitional compliant. I wish they would've fixed it the first time. UGH!!!!

RANT:
    I hate those lazy css creators. They should've realized that columns are one of the most important features for every web site on the planet. Why were tables popular before this even though they looked ugly in code? I don't know. Maybe because they FORMAT CORRECTLY!!!

Edit:
    I have decided to give up on columns now that I know there is no solution. I desire to avoid tables if possible. So, my main content will be a single column, and I will arrange all my pages in that fashion.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    You have to remember the web was essentially still nascent when CSS2 was created. Hell, the web is still nascent today. There are still plenty of hidden gems in CSS2 that haven't been implemented everywhere (IE showcases this in particular, especially with the various values the display property can take on). Even when CSS3 does come out, and even though it's being released as modules, it will still take a hell of a long time for all its features to be implemented. Granted, columns will probably be one of the earliest because of the demand, but you also have to remember that it isn't exactly easy to flow text into columns.

Chances are, seven years ago (which is when CSS2 hit Recommendation status), columns weren't a big deal on the web. In fact, I'm willing to put good money on the fact that people weren't really considering columns on the web yet. As such, they weren't being lazy, they just didn't know it might be useful. The funny thing is, there aren't too many other things that can't be achieved with CSS. The column problem is the only fundamental problem I've heard of in my (albeit limited) experience with CSS.

And don't worry, once all of CSS3 is out, we'll probably find something *it* can't do, either, and it'll have to be address later on, too :-).

EDIT: Oh, and a question here: is your problem solvable via tables? If it's solvable via a table-like layout, then you can curse IE for not having implemented the table-row-group, table-row, table-cell-group, and table-cell values of the display property in CSS2. Then again, who knows, IE7 could support them......... Or not.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    css innovation

INNOVATION! IT WORKS NOW! HA HA! TAKE THAT CSS CREATORS! irate:

http://www.zioncreation.com/new/

The solution is to float pretty much every div tag left, except for the one that centers the main content. I'm the most excited I've ever been since I succesfully wrote a super fast indexed tree searching program for a university class.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    ???? I thought you said you did not want to use float... But glad to hear you got it worked out..

Remove Ads