Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Im sure there a multitude of ways to do this but what i'm looking to do is to put a scroll bar or a mouse scroll action on the news section of a site im creating for a client. I'm more of the design guy then the coder so i'm looking for help here. I'll attach a pic and show exactly what i mean. Everything as it is now is laid out and sliced in ps. I just need to know how to if possible to put a txt field that can be scrollable in a table row or column.

Any and all help or direction would be very helpful ( :

thanks in advance\

EDIT: now that im thinking about it i've seen something similar to this in almost news site on the internet and a lot of blogs when they keep adding news items it just keeps extending the bottom part of the webdesign. I believe this is done with CSS but again i have no idea how to add just one section or sheet so that i can keep adding content and not mess up my tables.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    You can put "overflow: scroll" on the td style to make everything that goes over your set height force a scroll bar.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Unfortunately, overflow: scroll has a nasty tendency to sometimes force a disabled scrollbar even when the text doesn't overflow the area. overflow: auto would be my recommendation, but I get this nasty tinge of a memory that IE might interpret that as not scrolling...

Member #
    Personally I wouldn't do it and in site scrolling won't get you any brownie points from anyone who has accessibility problems or difficulty using a mouse. It would be better to make the design so that it can expand vertically without breaking the design.
    Paul Creedy
    Visit my community site at: www.rhonddacynontaff.com
    My hosting: www.rcthosting.com
    My Content Management product: www.dynamiccontenteditor.com

Member #
    suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Mr C
    Personally I wouldn't do it and in site scrolling won't get you any brownie points from anyone who has accessibility problems or difficulty using a mouse. It would be better to make the design so that it can expand vertically without breaking the design.
    What would be the best way to go about doing that, any suggestions?

Member #
    Well i found the overflow:auto and overflow:scroll options but when i set it i think it defines the whole table rather then just then a column or row which would be more suited to my needs. When i type in the area of the table where i want txt to show it pushes all my other tables all over the place and messes up the positioning of my slices that i made and exported from ps into dreamweaver. Is there any way to only define a row or column as the overflow spot?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr C

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com here is an example of what you mentioned, they have a design that is tileable and as more news items are added the style stretches. What is the best way to obtain this sort of effect?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Create a site design that has sides that are capable of being tiled -- straight lines or repeating patterns tend to be conducive to this.

Remove Ads