Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi:
    I have been in business for many year but I am new to web programming. I had an idea for a business that is similar to ebay's model, so I was interested in what technical skill (e.g. computer languages, other related stuff) a person would need to know to build a site like this. Currently, I can design basic sites in Dreamweaver and Fireworks for graphics. The marketing and strategy stuff I have a clear idea of what to do. All I need is the technical "know hows."

Do you have any recommended books, and how long would one have to study to learn all the matter. Would it be wiser to just hire talent and have them design it (but what if they run away with your business idea, it is rather tempting you know).

Thanks

JS

Member #
    You'd prolly want to learn ASP, and you'd prolly have know know something about distributed computer systems as I'm sure eBay's database isn't all in the same place.

If you're just coming from html coding to the .Net framework then it's going to take you a while.

Member #
    do you have any reccommended way to start learning? What books should I read?

The project at first is not going to be as large scale as ebay of course. I'll start it in my town then grow it.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    For something the size of e-bay you would probably want to either look into the .NET framework (as suggested above) or Java.... and you'd probably want to look at a distributed database architecture such as Oracle.

However, if you're after something on a smaller scale PHP and MySQL would enable you to do what you want... have you ever programmed in 'C' or similar? If so, php should not take too long to get used to because in terms of syntax it is very similar to 'C'...

Sean

Member #
    Thanks Sean,

I have programmed in C but I honestly forgot most of it .

I will start marketing this business in my area first anyways. So I don't need this project to be too large to start with. I just wanted to make something similar to the ebay model.

Remove Ads