Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    http://www.ardia.org/tc/indextc.htm looks perfect in Mozilla and Netscape but not IE, anyone knows why or how I can solve this?

CSS file is found at http://www.ardia.org/tc/_indextc.css

Me :-(

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    What exactly is the problem? I see nothing wrong with IE-6, except slight side-scrolling and slow downloading. (Suggest to crunch images and slightly reduce dimensions.)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Firstly, you have a missing gif file (blankarrow.gif)... Firefox is showing a placeholder for this, which looks a bit odd...

Right... differences...

a) Centre alignment of the main content within body. This is caused by the fact that you're using automatic margins to centre the content. To make IE do it (which is very non-standards compliant, but that's IE for you!) you need to put a text-align: center; into your body definition.

b) In terms of the layout being screwed (eg. too wide which leaves whitespace right of banner) that's to do with margins and padding... try removing all the margins and padding and you'll see what I mean. As you add each back in again you'll see that the effect is quite different on IE and Firefox.

I would recommend that you consider whether you really want a combination of table and div based design elements. The cellspacing, for instance, on the table is going to complicate matters for you... If you remove the outside table altogether (ie. the one you use to position your divs) you'll see what I mean... the actual result is not that different to that with the table.

I am going to spend about 20 minutes now just looking at your site and seeing if I can do anything by way of illustration... can't spend too long but might be able to do something useful.

Sean

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Right, if you take a look at http://www.seanmiller.net/t40 you'll see what I've done.

Basically I've
    - Removed the table altogether. The only table left is the one for your booking info.
    - Created a new container div called "bottom" to hold the three photos. This enables them to float together rather than all individually.
    - Fiddled with your margins. Each of the divs only have left and top margins. This means that there's no doubling up. I also found that 7px was a more appropriate value than 10px as 10px becomes very large in IE.
    - The div "rcmiddler" suffers because of the different way that padding etc. works in IE. Therefore I created an overriding definition for IE only (using the "* html" hack) with greater height and width so that things would line up.

I think that's about all I did... but hopefully you'll find the site now renders more consistently across the two browsers.

hope that helps,

Sean

Edit: Also removed border around picture of Disney on IE (again, different behaviour with borders) and commented out the topborder and navigation divs as they weren't doing anything useful and were creating inconsistency.

Remove Ads