Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

cdx
    Member #
    Hello everyone...

I am trying to find few ways to make my site load faster...

One of the ways I thought about is to use the same graphics for many pages (corners, backgrounds...).

Currently I am using for each folder an 'Images' subfolder.

For example:
    \1\images\ for \1\htmls.html
    \2\images\ for \2\htmls.html

and so on.

I know that the files are cached .
    My question is : Is it enough to load the same pictures over different subfolders? Or I need a global directory - so when the user browse different directories he has already the images - and the page load faster.

- I hope I explained myself correctly.

Thanks in advance for any help...

Guy.

Member #
    cached images still retain the directory it came from, ie. images/logo.jpg won't be the same cache image as images2/logo.jpg.

If both sub pages use the same images, then they should be in a global directory. But if you have images that are unique to that sub directory, you could have the following.

/1/images/ - images just for /1/
    /1/page.html
    /2/images/ - images just for /2/
    /2/page.html
    /images - global images

Hope this helps.

Also, along with looking at the cache, you want to look at the way you save the files. Photoshop has great file optimisation via File > Save For Web

cdx
    Member #
    Thanks Stylise...

So what you mean that once a Global Image get cached, the user's browser will not download it any more...

Member #
    I believe headers (data) are sent that between the client and the server to check if a cached image is new or not. Also, some images can have an expiry date.

But if an image has been untouched from the last time the client viewed it, it will just grab the image from cache.

All images and all files on your website will be cache. No matter what folder it's in. Unless you state otherwise, or the client doesn't allow for caching.

Remove Ads