Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    People here have advised me to be more "correct" so I am trying.

I would like some opinions on the following "borderline" codings that are frequently denounced in articles. Are these officially "deprecated"--or are they just "less meaningful"?

<br>&nbsp;<br>

One article uses this as an example of "undesireable" practices that are made unnecessary by CSS. But I still find it useful.

Now about <b> and <i>. I understand these are "unsemantic" but often the use of bold or italics IS unsemantic. For example:

"I agree with George Bush but I don't think America can afford his foreign policy."

Is there any reason to use the code <strong>but</strong>? No. You are flagging the search engines that this text is about but which is ridiculous, not to mention "unsemantic."

On the other hand, this of course is a different matter:
    "I agree with George Bush but I don't think America can afford his foreign policy."

In this case <strong> would be appropriate.

...but are <b> and <i> actually "deprecated"? (If so, then I guess I must change to <span style="font-weight:bold"> instead of my non-semantic <b> etc.)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    <b> and <i> are not depricated in the least. They simply hold different meanings than their counterparts <strong> and <em>

Here's the breakdown:

If you are emphasizing, or meaning to highlight specific phrases, you should use <strong> or <em> because that's what it is. This is a very <strong>strong sentence</strong> because I really want to <em>emphasize</em> what I mean.

However....

Let's say you are quoting from a Magazine. Usually you would reference it in some way like "In People magazine..." This would be a perfect usage of <i> because you are not emphasizing the text, but rather italicizing it due to the MLA guidelines. Same goes for bold, etc.

However: bottom line: Does it really matter?

No. With the rare exception that you are publishing a site that reviews literature and cites it properly, and your site happens to be targeted towards people that view-source and the blind (screen readers interpret <b> and <strong> differently).
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by krystof
    ...<span style="font-weight:bold">
    That's less semantic that <b>...

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Thank you Kyle! I appreciate the time you spend here.

I know you are picky, so I am very reassured that you agree with me that <b> and <i> are "alright." This has been bugging me for months. (Constantly reading otherwise in website articles.) Your definitions are a bit different from mine--and probably more "correct." But like you say, doesn't really matter.

Any opinions on <br>&nbsp;<br>?

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Bones
    ...<span style="font-weight:bold">...That's less semantic that <b>...
    ...Eddy I agree with you 200%! Nonetheless constantly reading otherwise in website articles...

Member #
    I would just use <br /><br /> if anything... theres no reason for a space in there that I know of.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    &nbsp; is more-often used as a hack than anything else. I can't think of a situation at the moment where you would need a non-breaking space in a newspaper article or magazine column.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Thank you for the reassurance Fallout and Filbert.

I suspect this <br>&nbsp;<br> business comes from using WYSWYG editors. Sometimes they don't show the break unless you put a space. And maybe some old browsers were like that. But I guess I can leave out the space now!

By the way, found an excellent article about <b> vs. <strong>. Goes a bit far to the opposite view from most, but this is refreshing and he certainly seems to know something:
    When Semantic Markup Goes Bad

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I use &nbsp; in an empty table cell so it doesn't 'collapse'.
    choosy developers choose gif!
    website | paintings | blog

Remove Ads