Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi,

I've created a website online which has error pages (401, 400 etc). The issue is that when I try to access a non-existant page not in the base directory of the site the stylesheet and images are not displaying.

I have tried an absolute refernce for the images and stylesheet, but I think it's ridiculous that I would have to enter a fully quanified address for each link or element.

Could I alternatively set up a rule for my CPanel, PHP based website that anytime an error occurs it goes to the base directory? :ermm:

Regards,

Dean.

Member #
    You will have to specify an absolute path for your images or put them inside every single directory on your site. When the error page is made, it looks for the image paths from the dir of the missing page.

Why are you so reluctant to write some absolute paths?

Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Fallout
    You will have to specify an absolute path for your images or put them inside every single directory on your site. When the error page is made, it looks for the image paths from the dir of the missing page.

Well I want to be able to work on the site offline in Dreamweaver 8 and have the stylesheet applied etc..

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallout

I also checked out your site and if I enter an address to a non-existant page like:

http://www.falloutweb.com/insdsdsd/sddsfsdf

Your error page fails. Cool site otherwise though

Member #
    I know mine fails Thats why I clicked on the thread, to help you out because I recently had the same problem (and still haven't fixed it :P ).

And thanks, I'm glad you like it

Member #
    Try puting a <base> tag into your page header. e.g.
    Code:
    <head>
    <base href="http://www.example.com/index.html">
    This makes all the relative url's change their relativity. Instead of being based on the path from the current file, they are now based on the path form the base url (e.g. you index page).
    http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/links.html#h-12.4

Remove Ads