Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hi everyone. I'm not very good at coding, but I have a flash website that uses XML files for all the content. The admin panel that was coded to edit these files does not work, so I am having to update them by hand.

The problem I'm having is that everytime I try to open them up in an editor like NVU or Mozilla Composer, I get a message saying "This page can't be edited for an unknown reason".

I'm wondering if there is some kind of error in the XML. Here are a few of the XML files:

Contact Content
    News Content
    DJ Listing (Gives errors when even looking at in Firefox)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

-Mark

Member #
    XMLSpy offer a free edition which will check a document for being 'well formed'. In the dj listing there's part of a line missing on the end and the staff element isn't closed. Use XMLSpy to find any other faults.

Member #
    Thanks for the response. I should have mentioned that I am not running a Windows OS. I run FreeBSD (a UNIX-like operating system) so unfortunately I can't really try XMLSpy. Is there anything web-based that might work?

Did you see anything that might prevent them from being opened properly?

Thanks

-Mark

Member #
    When I view your last file in Mozilla it says
    XML Parsing Error: not well-formed
    Line Number 28, Column 186:<dj><nickname>Greg Corbett</nickname><image>http://www.party107.com/staff/jc.jpg</image><location>Vancouver, Canada</location><about>Greg Corbett is part of the production duo Johnson & Corbett. Greg and Wes Johnson have a weekly show on Party107 called "Progressive Transmission".</about></dj>
    It looks like that amperstand is a problem. You have to escape amperstands when you put them in XML or they cause problems.
    Check this site out for more on that:
    -> http://hdf.ncsa.uiuc.edu/HDF5/XML/xml_escape_chars.htm

Member #
    Yeah, I get that message when loading it as well. It's being loaded by flash and apparently the flash application can load it (see www.party107.com and DJ's tab).

I just don't know why neither of these editors can edit it, they just display that message "This page can't be edited for an unknown reason" and then close the file.

I can edit it in a plain UNIX text editor like vi or pico/nano, but with such long lines that makes it rather hard. I was just trying to see why absolutely none of these xml files will open in those editors.

Thanks

-Mark

Member #
    I already answered your question. Your file is not "well formed" the amperstand (the & symbol) is messing up the parsing of your XML file. "Johnson & Corbett" is not allowable in an XML document. It should be "Johnson &amp; Corbett" with "&amp;" used as the escape for the amperstand as shown in the site which I provided a link to.

Member #
    Thanks for your replies. I know that the ampersand is not allowed in the XML, and I will attempt to fix that. However, there are XML files for every other content page and they fail to open even without any ampersands.

If there is no logical explanation why the others won't load either, then I guess I'll have to try more editors. I wanted to check to make sure they did not have errors first before installing more software, so again I thank you all for the replies.

-Mark

Member #
    The other two seem fine to me, Mozilla opens them and displays them fine. Do mean some other XML file? There are plenty of mistakes that could result in a not "well formed" XML file.

Member #
    Well the website has several pages, all from the top navbar (Home, Staff, DJ's, Listen, Contact, Download, etc), and each of those have an XML file as the content. I posted three here just as an example because none of the 3 will open in Mozilla Composer or the NVU editor, and none of the others do either.

Opening them in Firefox to view works, but if I try to use either of those editors mentioned, it just gives that error and closes the file.

-Mark

Member #
    I can't imagine why, I would figure that if it works in Firefox it should be good. I don't use editors though, I do most of my coding by hand. Still, there is a possiblity you have a non-standard character is in there somewhere but I don't see anything wrong with the other xml files. If you edited in simple text editor (such as Notepad as opposed to a rich text editor like MS Word) then any such character should pretty visible. If you edited online through a web form then sometimes pressing enter can put a few weird invisible characters in there. I can't think of anything else.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads