Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    hey,

I am fairly new to web design. I have a small site and people keep telling me that it the layout doesn't work in firefox. Other people told me that it is probably because the css isn't quite right. I learned basic CSS from a online tutorial, and used that as a template for mine. here is a sample:

* Generic Selectors */

p {
    width: 80%;
    }

/**************** Pseudo classes ****************/
    :link {
    color: red;
    text-decoration: underline;
    font-weight: normal;
    }

:visited {
    color: red;
    text-decoration: underline;
    }

:hover {
    color: white;
    text-decoration: none;
    }

/************************* ID's *************************/

}
    #content {
    position: absolute;
    z-index: 10;
    width: 640px;
    height: 420px;
    margin-top: 135px;
    margin-left: 110px;
    font-wieght: normal;
    background: black;

}
    #topbar {
    width: 750px;
    height: 135px;
    margin-top: 0px;
    margin-left: 0px;

}
    #navbar {
    width: 110px;
    height: 410px;
    margin-top: 150px;

}
    #article {
    width: 625px;
    height: 200px;
    margin-top: 0px;
    margin-left: 0px;

I don't think this is nessasarly "proper css" it works fine with IE but maybe you guys can help me make it work on firefox. thanks.

Member #
    Hm I do not know if thats your full css but your last styling (#article) does not have a closing brace.

Member #
    People keep posting only half the data - Not only do we need all the CSS but we also need the HTML code in order to make sense of it.

Ideally, just post a link to the page that has the problem. That way we can see the errors and if neaded just right click and veiw source. That way we know there's nothing missing or croped out and can point out the real error in your site rather than errors in your post.

Member #
    the link is: http://wcha.buildtolearn.net

that is pretty much all my css, there is a few more divisions in it but they are identical to those ones.

Member #
    Your html is full of errors. Any one of them could be throwing firefox and opera. IE tends to be more bendy when it comes to broken code.

Whenever you do a page, you must validate it to make sure that it has no bugs in it. E.g. a unclosed tag like </font> somewhere in the code. When I ran your site through http://validator.w3.org/ there were loads of error found. If you clear them up then you will be a big step forward in sorting out your page's display.

Member #
    hey,

I went to w3c and validated my html, fixed all the errors so now its all good. I get to put that W3C Valid HTML pic on my site now which makes me feel really good lol. Well I was there I also validated my CSS, and change it all so its valid. So technically, now that my HTML and CSS are both valid, my site should work across all browsers right? If someone has firefox or another browser other than IE here, I would appreciate it if they would test my site on it.

Also, something that has recently come to my attention is that my site is design for 800x600 screen resolution (mainly because that is what I run on) I notice alot of sites, including this one are made for 1024x768, what is the best to have?

Member #
    The only difference I could see is in the scrollbar. Firefox doesn't recognize scrollbar style rules.

Firefox and now Opera (without ads) are free, so you can confirm this yourself.

I don't have any statistics but I imagine the number of people using 800 res must be small these days. Therefore it comes down to aesthetics, visitors on dialup coping with larger images, legibility of long lines, having enough content to fill the extra space etc.

Member #
    Blue links on black background - OOOHH my eyes...

Member #
    Those links are supposed to be red. I just tried it on my Mac and the links were blue to, at least now the divisions are showing up. I'm gonna look at the css to try and fix the links.

Member #
    They are showing up red now, better.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads