Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Could someone help me with this conundrum:

On this page I have a scrolling div, with a non-repeating background image. In Firefox the background remains fixed whilst the text is scrolled above it. In IE, the text and background both scroll. Is there an easy way to ensure that the background remains static?

When I use background-attachment: fixed; the background image is clipped by the div and is therefore no longer shown as desired.

Your help is very much appreciated!

Member #
    The only way that I know of is to use background-attachement: fixed.... are you sure the element has the corrent height/width set? I dont think changing it to fixed should change any of the dimensions.

Edit: I can't help directly because the site wouldn't load

Member #
    I'm having a few problems with my host. The page is there and works sometimes.

The background-attachment problem fixes the background to the left hand side of the viewport (because I have background-position: left; set), but my div is centered in the viewport. As a result, the effect is as if the background-position is negative (and hence clipped).

Since the viewport doesn't actually scroll, W3C CSS states that the background image should remain fixed, even when the contents of the div scroll.

It seems this is another case of IE's non-conformance to the W3C specs.

Member #
    Let's hear 3 cheers for IE!!! Naw, nevermind who cares.
    Dimbles gotta say I really like the look-feel of your site, in FF of course, the faded images are a nice touch.

Remove Ads