Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    *Sigh* I keep reading a new thing every day about how I should or should not write my code.

My latest dilemma is the issue of depreciation of stuff, and css.

Whilst reading through information on the internet, I come across a lot of people saying that you should try not to rely on CSS for all of your formatting because not everyones browser supports it or interperets it in the same way. Instead you should stick to manual formatting unless it's something that appears frequently, so that if the user cannot support CSS it will still look pretty much the same.

On the other hand, all the validators and stuff say that instead of using tags such as P, FONT, CENTER etc, I should do it using CSS as these tags are being depreciated.

I'm so confused! What am I supposed to do? I only really rely on CSS for the layout of my page, and some of the headings and image floats, the rest of it I generally use HTML. ARGH! :cross-eyed: !!!

So, what do you guys do? How often does CSS go unsupported? How long do you think until tags such as CENTER and FONT become obsolete?

Thankyou for your time
    - gah!

Member #
    We are told not to use <center> and <font> etc, these are depreciated but they still "work" in some browsers.

When you read something saying use css for your <p>'s, you can give them a style rule, or just use a <div> for a block of text.

They are not a standard any more, so you should update your code, although they do still work like I say.

Hope this helps.. I am sure there will be a lot in this thread!

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    <p> is something you should use all the time because it denotes paragraphs, which is semantic (the markup describes the structure, not the design or appearance).

<center>: <div style="text-align: center">
    <br>: avoid in general, <p> is preferred, <br /> if necessary
    <b>: <strong>
    <i>: <em> (for "emphasis")
    <u>: <span style="text-decoration: underline"> but never make anything except links underlined
    <font face="foo" size="1">: <span style="font-family: foo, sans-serif; size: 12pt">

It takes a while to learn and for the longest time I hated the W3C because they were constantly changing the standard. Fortunately, I now see their reasoning.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    I prefer

<span style="font: 12px arial;"></span>

Member #
    Is it not proper to specify the full font-face? Such as
    Code:
    <p style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;"></p>
    Also, to set which one you would prefer from that list, you enclose it in double quotes.

Member #
    On the other hand, all the validators and stuff say that instead of using tags such as P, FONT, CENTER etc, I should do it using CSS as these tags are being depreciated.
    Slightly confused by your use of present tense. The <font> and <center> tags were depracted in 1997.

The <p> tag is however, still in the current specs and will be for the forseable.

I only really rely on CSS for the layout of my page, and some of the headings and image floats, the rest of it I generally use HTML. ARGH!
    I use html for the layout of my page. I only use css for Styling that html. That's what the first S in CSS stands for - Style. The strucure of the page made using html. Then you need to add some apearance atributes. In the old days, these atributes were inline. Actually inside the html tag. However, that made the page a bit of a mess to read. It was easier for humans to read the code if the the structure was kept to one section and the styles were kept to a different section. Separating style from content.

It takes a while to learn and for the longest time I hated the W3C because they were constantly changing the standard. Fortunately, I now see their reasoning.
    There has been no significant change to the html standards since 1997 (when html 4.0 was introduced). CSS hasn't changed since 1998 when CSS2 came out. CSS version 3 is still under development and xhtml, xml and such are just different things.

It's not the w3c that has changed. But rather the browsers. Back in 1999 it was the war between IE4/5 and NN4. Neither cared two hoots about w3c and just made up their own versions of html. The result is that any modern browser not only has to support the html standards, but also support all the cr*p that was churned out for non compliant browsers back in the 90's.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bfsog
    Is it not proper to specify the full font-face? Such as
    Code:
    <p style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;"></p>
    Also, to set which one you would prefer from that list, you enclose it in double quotes.
    Actually, you only put it in ' ' marks if it's a font name that contains spaces. e.g. 'times roman'

To show preferance, you put the font first in the list. e.g.
    <p style="font-family: Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif;"></p>
    Would show preferance for Arial where as
    <p style="font-family: Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif;"></p>
    Shows priority to Helvetica.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    You can specify whatever font you want in order of preferred availability, but you should always end with sans-serif, serif, or (IIRC) fixed-width in case none of the fonts you specified exist.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    most browsers will understand better css as long as your useing it for low end style any way eg all browser understand the replacement font elements:
    face = font-family
    color = color
    size = font-size
    and useing center can be replaced by text-align and margins on fixed width elements
    Thee Pyro Wolf

Member #
    Or to put that more technically - CSS1 very well supported. CSS2 is mainly well supported but some odd ball features like drop shaddows and transparency are problematic. CSS3 isn't finalised yet so little of it is used, though it is possible to use some items.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads