Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I am using the google search bar at:

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ttri

Is there code (css / javascript) I can use to make the white colour go transparent or alternatively a way to select the colour of the box which surrounds the google search box?

Thanks,
    Mark

Member #
    Looks to me that the search box is in an iframe that loads a page from another site. Unless you have the ability to edit the page off of that other site, you can't change the background.

Q - why are you using an iframe. I've see google search boxes on sites before without using iframes and iframes can cause problems with usability and accessability of your site. Why not put the search codes directly on your page?

Member #
    Your answer is pretty much what I thought - the box is designed externally so I can't edit the code. I just wondered if there was some workaround.

I had to use the iframe version because typically the google search code uses PHP, which my server does not support. By doing it this way, the search is processed by a third party site with PHP support (see code in the site to see the site address).

Member #
    The php for processing the action of the form has to be on the other server - but the actual form can be anywhere. Just view the source of your search box page and copy paste that html code into your main page and syle as normal.

Remove Ads