Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    hi,
    I have a data file with a .csv extention and I want to know if I can write an application in XML that will allow me to access this file and display the data including title, desription, and image and then I want to tie in a seperate data base of form coding that will allow me to marry both the infomation and the form submit button. I would love to hear what anyone has to say about this. I am still trying to understand the basics of XML and how I can write useful applications.

Member #
    You can (easily) read CSV files in PHP using [phpfunction]fgetcsv[/phpfunction]. This will return an array.

Also, you don't write "an application in XML": XML is a data format that applications use to store, read, and pass around data. You can write your own CSV->XML converter for your applications.

Also, once you get the data into PHP (or other language) variables, it doesn't matter where the data came from, be it a CSV or XML file or a submitted form.

If you want specific help, you need to give us a specific problem (describe it as much as you can) and we will help you.
    eKstreme
    eKstreme.com - Free website tools!
    fontfox - free fonts Hand-picked quality fonts.

Member #
    I can not thank you enough for the explanation. I am trying to build my first data-based web site and I really don't know enough to know what I don't know. I have built several html based sites and I have used many little java scripts and lots of CSS stuff, I have even built an e-commerce site just through code, but it was time consuming, hard to change and impossible to keep current. I would like to avoid all of the issues in my next site and it seems to me the data based driven sites are the way to go. I bought a book on PHP, but I don't understand how to control the display of records and how to automatically have links to detail pages that also have a template style format. Any general or specific information you could offer would be greatly appreciated!

Remove Ads