Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi all.
    I am currently validating the CSS on my site with the W3C validation service.
    All is going well, except that it is telling me that colours don't exist for the various colour attributes of my scrollbars (?????) but I know right well that these colours exist ! :

html,body
    {
    height: 100%;
    margin: 0px;
    padding: 0px;
    font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    scrollbar-arrow-color: #ff9900;
    scrollbar-base-color: #ffffff;
    scrollbar-dark-shadow-color: blue;
    scrollbar-3dlight-color: #ff9900;
    scrollbar-face-color: #ffffff;
    scrollbar-highlight-color: #ffffff;
    scrollbar-shadow-color: #ff9900;
    scrollbar-darkshadow-color: #000000; }
    Any help is much appreciated.
    D

Member #
    the scrollbar setting in CSS is a Microsoft invesion. The don't exist - in the w3c spec - and are not valid CSS. However, if you want to use them, go ahead. They won't do any harm.

Member #
    Hi.
    Thanks for that, but I have found a solution. The answer is to reference the scrollbar style in an external JS file:
    http://forums.devshed.com/archive/t-...rollbar-colors

this now validates for me.
    Thanks.
    D

Member #
    No it's not - Just because the javascript stops the css validator seeing the rule does not stop the rule form being invalid. You might cheat the test but you passed by cheating and not sticking to the rules.

Don't get too hung up on the w3c specs. It's always better to know the rules, test you page and then put in invalid code under the full knowledge that you are doing so than to put in invalid code out if ignorance. So you tested the site, good. Some code was invalid and you fixed it, some code was invalid but you decided to keep it. That's fine.

If you are going to use the coloured scroll bars then use them. Don't try to hide them in some javascript. That just makes it worse cause now you've added additional code that wasn't really required. That goes against the KISS principal. You could end up with a problem on the page caused by the javascript - which wasn't required.

There are some pages that will never validate. Not just coloured scrollbars but also pages containing flash and similar plugins. It doesn't mean you have to go to some elaborate ends to hide in invalid code form the validator script. I just means that sometimes you make an informed decision to not have valid code.

Member #
    Hey.
    I completely agree with (and like) your point of view.
    Thanks for the advice, I will take it with me.
    D

Remove Ads