Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey guys,
    I'm setting up an intranet at work just with html and css and I wanted to know if I could implement some kind of a search for the articles on it? We don't want to use Sharepoint and can't really afford to buy anything to do it anyway. I know you can implement a google search for your site if it's on the internet but is there anyway I could do this over a LAN? The intranet is working off IIS and I'm using DW to design it.
    Thanks in advance,
    Neil

Member #
    You could use a script like sphider http://www.cs.ioc.ee/~ando/sphider/ to index your sites html and provide search results.

Member #
    Thanks for the reply. I don't know much about PHP or SQL unfortunately but I'm confident I could learn the basics if I need to - do you think I'd need to learn it in order to implement this?

Also, would this mean we would have to buy MySQL? We have SQL Server but I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to install this on the server which the intranet sits on... Any help would be greatly appreciate

Member #
    If your server has php and mysql installed, then installing the script is a short and simple job. Just follow the instructions.

However, if as I suspect you don't have php or mysql installed an I guess you are using windows and MS web server, then it may be best to search for a ASP equivelant similar to the script I pointed to.

I did find http://search.mnogo.ru which runs on windows and has an ASP front end. However, the price tag is US$995 and upwards. The php version of the same script is under the GLP licience (open source) and so is free.

I also fount http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/index.html which has a range of products depending on the size of your site form Free to $99 (which is a more realistic price.) It's available in ASP and PHP versions. However, I have not tested this one myself.

MySQL and php are Open Source Software and can be installed for free. You only pay if you require support for the products. It is possible to get "all in one" installers that will put Apache, php and mysql onto your windows server for you and do a basic setup. These are also usually free.

To implement a search function on your site, you will need some form of script. It's up to you wither you search for an ASP version or use the PHP version

Member #
    Wow! Thanks heaps for the info... So if my understanding is correct, all I need to do is get hold of an ASP one and it will work without installing anything extra? If that's the case I'm sure we could fork out some cash if we need to!

Member #
    It looks like I need to install ASP? Is that free? Sorry about my ignorance! Is there any reason we can't use the java version?
    Thanks heaps
    Neil

Member #
    I figured out we had PHP already installed on the server so I've tried out Zoom... It would work well if we got one of the versions that you have to pay for so I'll start trying to convince them now!

Remove Ads