Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello All!

I need some help on a layout I'm building right now. I'm using tables for this layout as I simply don't have the smarts yet to build a proper CSS layout that works right and this needs to get out ASAP.

My layout has a table with 6 rows. 4 of the 6 rows have set heights, one has a minimun set height and the last one needs to be open to stretch out.

Here's the table with the CSS in the header for easy viewing.

Cells 001, 002, 004 and 006 all play by the rules in Firefox with the set heights. Cell 003 which is set to a min-height of 70px stretches out a bit and cell 005 which needs to stretch out to fill the 100% height of the page or stretch out longer if the content needs it to.

Geeze I hope I'm making sense ...

Here's a screen shot of what it should look like @ 800x600px

If you look at the above link in IE, it's blown all to heck ...

I'm getting pretty discouraged with this one ... I'm trying to mix it up by having tables but keeping everything valid with XHTML 1.0 Transitional. I could very easily jam it all out in tables and remove the DOCTYPE to make my life easier, but I really don't want to do that.

Any suggestions?

OH! I've got another one too! I've got another design that uses tables and CSS again. This one has 2 cells that have no content, are set to be 9px in height with a background image. If I use:
    Code:
    <td>&nbsp;</td>
    the table cell is pushed to 12px with of course tiles the background and messes things up. If I remove the non breaking speace to have just:
    Code:
    <td></td>
    then it eventually just colapses.

I don't know ... this is a pain!

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Member #
    then it eventually just colapses.
    A table or table cell has no intrinsic height. It's always as big as it's contents. If it has no contents (when you remove the nbsp) the is has no height.

WRT first problem - looks fine in my copy of IE6, I assume you fixed it?

Remove Ads