Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Please plaese could someone offer there good advice?

Please could someone explain to me how to process an html form.

I understand how to create a forum, but how to process It I dont.
    I understand that GCI scripts are involed in some way, but I dont know which one i should use or how to set it up?

Please could someone explain this in coherent terms, i would greatly appreciate it.

many many thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    You can use a mailto:youremail action to have the form results e-mailed to you but it will be done by the end-user's client which is unprofessional and violates their right to privacy.

Check out http://www.php.net/ ; you don't necessarily need it, just a server-side language, at arguably PHP is the easiest to pick up on nowadays.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Firebrand,

There are many ways to process an HTML form. Really, an HTML form is an input into an application. Think of this in terms of application development. There are inputs and outputs... HTML forms being one of the types of inputs.

Now, once the application has been given the data from the form (i.e., when a user posts it), the question is, what will it do with it? The simplest of applications will take that data and email it somewhere. More complex ones will store it in a database. Yet more complex ones will use the data to execute a complex calculation and spit out a result.

Really, there are infinite possibilities of what you can do with form data. The application that you will use to process the data can, indeed be CGI / Perl. It can also be PHP, ASP, JSP, or Java. With some skill, you could even use C++, VB, ASP.NET, JavaScript, ActionScript, Delphi, Cobol, Pascal, Ada, Assembly, Fortran, or any other programming language. Of course, the first few I listed are designed for web programming and won't require custom programming to retrieve form data.

If you're looking to do something simple, like an email post, that functionality is built into a lot of web servers. IIS, for instance, has form mail functionality through FrontPage extensions. If you use IIS with FrontPage, you can very easily construct a mail form.

Member #
    Thanks guys aprreciate your help

Remove Ads