Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I am using css to lay out my site.

I am fairly experienced but get confused with cross-browser problems.

Two divs, 'lefttitle' and 'left' will not align according to my design (the proper design can be found at http://www.munzamedia.co.uk/pr3fix_m...oto_layout.gif ).

My site is at http://www.munzamedia.co.uk/pr3fix_music/index.htm

In IE6 the left column aligns correctly, but in Netscape and Firefox it does not. I think the problem is to do with the way in which different browers understand margins.

How can I get this design to work in different browsers?

Thanks,
    Mark

Member #
    I think the problem is you are trying to use the tantek hack for correcting the box model for your layout so that is works in old versions of IE5. However, this hack depends on you forcing IE6 to run in quirks mode so that IE6 behaves like IE5. You can then feed both IE's the hacked widths and margins. However, you haven't forced quirks mode. So IE6 is using the standard content box model but seeing the css for the quriks border box model. So your widths are all wrong.

Ignore IE5 - it's really very old now. Remove the hacks. Ensure your page stays in standard mode of IE6 and fee all the browsers the exact same widths and margins. The page will need rejiged to the right widths and will break on IE5 but who cares about that old thing.

In standards mode, IE6, firefox and opera all use the same box model. So as long as you don't need to support IE5, there is no need for any of the hacks to fix any margin problems, cause there won't be any margin problems.

Remove Ads