Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi, I'm pretty new to web design. Here is the website I'm working on...

http://www3.telus.net/public/tkapka/...ov7/index.html

I have a few questions....

1. I can't seem to get rid of the white gaps in my layout between a few of the images, and at the bottom of my entire page. I've set the page up using tables. (The bottom table is within a cell that aligns to the bottom of the page.)

2. I can't get the copyright info to stay left-aligned to the tan-colored bar.

3. Right now, the content is aligned to the left side of the window. When the window is made larger, the content still stays aligned to the left. I would like to repeat the water banners as wide as the window is enlarged. I was able to get the bottom to repeat to the right side of the window, but not the top table. The tables are set to 100% width, but I'm not sure why it doesn't work?

However, is it safer to have a SET width for all my content? ...so that I can be assured that gaps won't happen, and things won't go out of place? The site below shows all the content in a set width centred on the page.

http://www3.telus.net/public/tkapka/...v7/index2.html

4. Since I'm new to web design, do you have any suggestions for thngs about the site that aren't effective??

Thank-you for all advice! I appreciate it!

Member #
    1. You have set the <table width="100%" but the individual cells are set to px sizes and contain images that are also a fixed px size. The browser will treat the cell width as a "minimum" not a set width. So when the table size bigger than you desined for, the cells inside that table also expand.

You have two options. Change the width of the table to a px size rather than 100%. Or, use a backround image to tile across the gap so that they can be seen.

2. Just text-align: left; But looking at the html you have, go easy on the tables. You jave eversingle thing in multiple nested tables. You could replace all this code
    Code:
    <tr> 
                    <td width="168">&nbsp;</td>
                    <td width="166">&nbsp;</td>
                    <td width="572" height="19" align="left" valign="bottom" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" class="outrightOct05"> 
                      <table width="100%" height="12" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">
    <tr> 
                          <td height="12" valign="bottom"><font color="#999999" size="-2">Copyright 
                            &copy;2005 Outright Communications</font></td>
                        </tr>
                      </table></td>
                  </tr>
    Whith just this little bit of code
    Code:
    <tr> 
      <td width="572"> 
        <p style="color:#999999; background-color:#FFFFFF; padding-top:2em; font-size:10px;">
        Copyright &copy;2005 Outright Communications
        </p>
      </td>
    </tr>

Member #
    3. You need to put the image in as a background image like style="background-image:url('image.jpg');" However, you need to have an image that tiles (the patern repeats without visable joins.) your water probably wont do this.

4. Use less html, inparticular, less tables. There are other tags such a s paragraph tags.

Use padding to make space rather than <td>&nbsp;</td>

Validate your code at validator.w3.org

The font tags is depraceted. I can see form your code that you use css, so use css. However, you will have to point to the css file on the server, and not on your hard drive.
    <link href="file:///C|/Documents%20and%20Settings/Tanya/Desktop/projects/Dallner%20Communications/Website/Fall05_Nov.3_darker/outrightOct05.css"

Member #
    Thanks for all your advice, Rince!

Here's my updated file...

http://www3.telus.net/public/tkapka/...ov8/index4.htm

I already had created the water background, repeating beautifully and seamlessly. But I found it was too complex (and I needed too many tables) to repeat the water towards the right side of the page). I tried for hours, but no matter what I tried, I'd get a white gap somewhere...and I'd do what I could to fix it, and more white gaps would show up somewhere else!

This file is much simpler.

I've also run it through the validator.w3.org, and added a DOCTYPE to the following file.
    http://www3.telus.net/public/tkapka/...ov8/index5.htm

This is the doc type I chose:
    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
    I can see there are a few more things I'll need to clean up.

Again, thanks for your advice!

~ultrav~

Remove Ads