Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Tables --> CSS

Member #
    I am in the process of redesigning a tables based site in CSS.

http://www.langleywood.slough.sch.uk/

I have so far managed to copy it quite accurately, however, I am having trouble positioning the slogan for the school, written in Orange. The problem is, is that because the school name spans two lines, the slogan is positioned according to the top of the first line, it also spans multiple lines and I want it to only span two lines.

Here is what I have so far, does anyone have any ideas:

http://adam.codedv.com/lgw_site_dev/index.htm

Member #
    I'm not terribly clear from your post what it is you're trying to do - if you're trying to stop the browser from inserting line breaks where you don't want them in the text you could try replacing the spaces in the text with   (no break spacer) entities, and only put a space in at the point you want the line break.

Apologies if this wasn't your question, but like I said, I'm not terribly clear what you're asking.

Incidentally, I'm getting a "connection refused" error when I click the .sch.uk link so I can't see the initial site that you're trying to ape.

Member #
    Aim also kind of confused as what you wanted done, and now even more with dizzy's reply, but let me also give it a shot depending on what I think you want...

You want to center "Providing high quality..." text under Langlywood text.

Well for that, it seems you need to edit the image, since its a image file, and not typed in text.

Member #
    I have so far managed to copy it quite accurately, however,
    You are engaged in a pointless endevor.

To redesign as site that used to use table, to now use css and div but keep the apearance exactly the same... I have to ask... Why?

If you are going to redesign the site, then redesign the site. Imporve it, make it better. If the end result is that none of the site users can tell the difference, then what has been gained. Loads of work for no gain.

Ultimatly, the best way to make a tabled style layout is by using tables. Trying to force CSS to mimic tables in apearance and behavior is difficult. So why? If you like the tabled desing then leave it as tables. If you don't like the current design, then don't mimic it in CSS. Make something different instead.

Remove Ads