Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I'm being forced into dropping tables for layout on a 2-columned website that will soon have 3 columns.

Ahhh!

There's no easy way to do 3-column CSS layouts!

Is there?

What do you guys use for layouts?
    I am Alan Hogan (@alanhogan on Twitter). I like PHP, UI/UX design, and OS X.

Member #
    This site www.w3.org have a 3 column layout and it works without talbes. And I'd think the w3c know what they are doing.

The main problem that people have with columned designes is that the very word "column" is a table property. If you are not using tables, how do you make columns. But more practivally - Why use columns.

Don't think of rows and columns. Rather think of "areas" or "sections". You want a web site with 3 areas. You want them side by side. That's easy. When it get's hard is when you demand that all 3 sections are the same hight, or align with a footer or some other thing.

If you wanted a layout that "looks like it was made with tables", then use tables. Don't give yourself a headache. If you don't want to use tables. Don't make a site that looks like tables. Try and make something different. Something new. Something better than the other designs you have seen.

As long as you keep off of thinking about rows and columns, css design is easy.

Member #
    @Rince:
    Thanks! That was a pretty thoughtful reply.
    I am Alan Hogan (@alanhogan on Twitter). I like PHP, UI/UX design, and OS X.

Remove Ads