Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    What I want here is the image bullets to be horizontally central to the text. I'd rather not make the images any bigger so they line up, I would like to know how to line the bullet images up centrally with the text.

I've tried many different things that came up in searches on Google but nothing that solved my problem. It seems to be ok in FireFox but not IE.

Here is an small example of the problem:

http://www.mlaz.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/bullets.htm

As you can see, especially in IE the bullets and text are off line with eachother. I did find a solution a few months ago but I can't remember what site. It was one of the more popular ones like ALA maybe.

Thanks in advance.

Tech =o

Member #
    I'm really confused, because you didn't really explain. Is the url your site, or is it something that you're trying to achieve? I can only guess that you want images instead of a dot or square next to your text. I don't use lists, instead I use regular tables to align my data. A quick fix for you until you find what you are looking for is to just place the image next to your text. For indents/tabs, you can use a blank td cell and set the width to the width that you want for the indent/tab. Next to that, place your image, then your text. I prefer this method because you will have more control over alignment. If you explain your situation more, I can help you out.

Website Design & Hosting by E-Office Professionals www.eofficeprofessionals.com

The only stupid question is the one not asked.

Offer solutions-not criticism.

Member #
    Sorry I completely missed the point lol...

I hope you understand now I updated the post. Hmm...

"I can only guess that you want images instead of a dot or square next to your text"

Don't the images show for you?

Tech =o.

Member #

Member #
    Excellent Eddy problem solved. Thanks alot! :cheeky:

Member #
    I think he means the vertical alignment. the images sit slightly higher than the text beside them.

You could make the images with more background so that they are the same size as the text. Or you could reduce the size of the text so that they have the same height as the images. This can be done quite effectivly using CSS. Remember that as well as the letter height which you can set in exact px sizes, there is the line space (the gap between lines of text) and you can adjust the line-height in CSS too.

Member #
    Thanks Rince,

I found a couple of similar solutions but didn't want to resize anything, just to align it. I am aware, and have applied line-height:2em; to the 'ul li' and everything is now in order.

Thanks all!

Member #
    Is it? Remember just cause it works out in your browser(s) doesn't mean it works for everyone. You've used 2em as a size. But em's are an user definable size. How big is an em? Where you need an item of fised size (your images) to line up with text, you need an equally fixed size for the font. So you should, in this case, use px not em sizes.

Member #
    OK point taken

In what situation should 'em' be used? Is it just when you want something to appear in relation to whatever preferences that user has in place?

Ok, so if the image and text is the same height, it will be vertically aligned to one another? I will try this, that's for pointing out the problem.

Tech =o

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Rince
    Where you need an item of fised size (your images) to line up with text, you need an equally fixed size for the font.
    No, you really don't. If we look at what I posted...
    The only problem with my method is that when the text is enlarged so that it wraps to a second line, the bullet would be off. But really, what's the likelihood of that?

Remove Ads