Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: css in Opera

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    A site I handcoded in css displays fine in Mozilla and IE.
    But in Opera the bordered blocks are about a mere 8px off of each other. Not alot, but enough to make it not look right. (I tried shifting the values but, then the blocks are off in IE by 8px instead of Opera.)
    Another version of my site i made with tables has no problems in Opera. But, of course, I would want a tableless layout with pure css if I could get it. Is trying to get my site to display well in mozilla, IE, AND Opera pushing it? (to speak nothing of netscape) Should I be happy with good display in mozilla and IE and leave it at that? Is there a way to make it work or should I use the table layout?

I imagine if I didn't like using borders so much, it could work, but I prefer the look.

Member #
    We'd really need to see the site. A URL would be handy.

Opera should display just like Mozilla. In fact, Opera follows most of the rules even close than Mozilla and FF as can be seen if you view the Acid2 test. There must be a bug in your code somewhere that is throughing opera. But we'd need to see the code to know where the bug is.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Okay, this a demo site of the one you guys helped me fix earlier.
    I was sold on the idea of css shortly after and wanted to practice what I learned on my old site. Obviously, I couldn't get rid of all tables since some google ads use tables but I wanted to get it as close to correct code as possible. Later on I'll probably remove the google ads entirely.

For now, I'm not replacing my original site, just trying my hand at css.

http://www.warlike.ms11.net/newsite.html

As you should be able to see, certain blocks are shifted in Opera.

The problem is there is a slight difference in the way Opera reads margin-left. I can align the blocks in Opera now if I alter margin-left by 8px but, of course, it then is off by 8px in IE. Are borders not recommended with pure css? Or is there a way to make this work?

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Actually, Rince, I think you answered me on this same subject in another thread:

"Making non tabled designs look/behave like table designs is hard and kind of pointless."

I missed that before. I guess that's what I've been trying to do.

Member #
    What happened to the layout that we discussed at great lenght on this thread http://www.webdesignforums.net/showt...9&page=4&pp=15 It looks like you are just repeating the same mistakes as the last time.

You clearly want the page centered. The look at the past example or at other posts about centering that I have made and see how it's done. Just adding margin-left to your navigation is not going to center the page. I will only look right on your screen. It's not opera that is different. It's any other setup other than your own PC that is different. If the browser window is a slightly different size. Different screen resolution or the window not maximised, then your layout will break.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rince
    What happened to the layout that we discussed at great lenght on this thread http://www.webdesignforums.net/showt...9&page=4&pp=15 It looks like you are just repeating the same mistakes as the last time.

You clearly want the page centered. The look at the past example or at other posts about centering that I have made and see how it's done. Just adding margin-left to your navigation is not going to center the page. I will only look right on your screen. It's not opera that is different. It's any other setup other than your own PC that is different. If the browser window is a slightly different size. Different screen resolution or the window not maximised, then your layout will break.
    I still have that layout. People on other boards kept making suggestions - " get rid of tables", etc... - and I try to implement them on the side. I still have all the old designs to fall back on but I like to try and push my skills. Css has been a wall I've tried to scale for quite awhile and I finally feel I'm starting to get somewhere.

If I am repeating mistakes, I'm not aware of it. The coding is almost completely different. I might be repeating some esthetic schemes and using some minor elements others object to like a marquee but the code is different.

I know centering in css is accomplished with the

margin-left
    margin-right

tags set to auto but that didn't work so I probably resorted to
    some unorthodox methods.

Does your advice still stand? Don't abandon tables if I want a tabled look?

Member #
    The problem is not in your CSS. It is you html that is faulty. You need to structure your page with the right tags in the right place. Before you think about CSS and layout, you should put into the html the sections that will be required. The head, menu, content, footer. The go one above the other. Then look at the site.

Think, I want to center everyting (#wrapper{margin:0px auto; width:500px} - or - #wrapper{position:absolute; left:50%; margin-left:-250px; width:500px;})

Now think, I want the menu to one side and the content to the other - apply that css.

Take things one step at a time. But start with the html. Get the html right and everthing else will flow naturally.

WRT tables for tabled designes. You have a section called "Search ebay for more game titles:" Below this is a section that looks like a table. It should be a table. Even if you use CSS, when you are making something that looks and behaves like a table, then you should use a table for that section. That does not mean that your entire site should be one massive table. It means you use the right bit of html in the right place.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    The problem is not in your CSS. It is you html that is faulty. You need to structure your page with the right tags in the right place. Before you think about CSS and layout, you should put into the html the sections that will be required. The head, menu, content, footer. The go one above the other. Then look at the site.
    I've attempted this. Layout is all out of wack at the moment now but I working on bringing it together again. It's very tempting to alter the wrapper values you suggested to fix it but I know that's probably not a good idea.

Now think, I want the menu to one side and the content to the other - apply that css.
    float?

WRT tables for tabled designes. You have a section called "Search ebay for more game titles:" Below this is a section that looks like a table. It should be a table. Even if you use CSS, when you are making something that looks and behaves like a table, then you should use a table for that section. That does not mean that your entire site should be one massive table. It means you use the right bit of html in the right place.
    That's an affiliate script provided by ebay and I have nothing to do with its coding. If I want the affiliate links on my site (and I do) I'm kinda forced to use what ebay provides the way they provide it.

Remove Ads