Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hello,
    I am building a site. I am having a problem when Font size is changed using the browser(Netscape). In IE, I don't have a problem when font size is changed from smallest to largest. But when I view the same site in Netscape, and use text zoom to anything more than 100%, my site format gets completely messed up. What is going on here? I am using Style for managing Fonts.

Here's URL for the page...
    http://www.aditionline.com/portfolio...MM_mandals.htm

Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks!

Member #
    How exactly does your font get messed up? I noticed in your source code that you are trying to apply "style1" to certain areas of text, but "style1" is not defined in your stylesheet-only "style4" is defined. Is the text in style1 tags the text that is being controlled by Netscape and being messed up? Normally, if it was defined in your stylesheet, it would stay the same size.

Website Design & Hosting by E-Office Professionals www.eofficeprofessionals.com

The only stupid question is the one not asked.

Offer solutions-not criticism.

Member #
    Thanks for the reply. Style 1 was a typo, which I have taken care of. But still, you are right - It almost appears that somehow style does not seem to have any effect. With IE, the font stays the same when changed from smallest to largest. This is what we would expect.
    For your reference, I am attaching a screen shot when it's all messed up.
    Once again the URL is http://www.aditionline.com/portfolio...MM_mandals.htm

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Its because you are using tables which cant be expanded so naturally the text will push out the cells and get all messed up. The only fix I know for this is either you could make the fonts unchangable ie use a px font size rather than % or redesign the site to css (which is kind of unpractical but oh well).

ps its not only navigator its also FF and probably all of the other browsers except IE.

Member #
    I wouldn't even bother testing in Navigator, the only current branch of that family is Firefox-based.

Member #
    The sizes of the named fonts in IE are different form the sizes in Netscape/Firefox/Mozilla/Opera. They aways have been. Rather than naming the sizes like size="small" or size="3", you should use a unit based size such as size="12px" or size="10pt" or size="1em".

When you twiddle the zoom font in netscape - it overrides the site authors font sizes and make them bigger. This may result in the words not fitting inside the dimentions of you page. You can make your page flexable, but there is always a limit that the zoom can be used untill the page breaks.

In Opera, the zoom is a proper page zoom that make the whole page bigger and not just the font size. But then Opera is a better browser than Netscape.

I wouldn't even bother testing in Navigator, the only current branch of that family is Firefox-based.
    The question was about Netscape - not about Navigator. Netscape Navigator is an old browser form 5 years ago. Where as Netscape (currently on version 8) is a modern browser form the Firefox tree.

When you view a page in Netscape, it will use the Firefox browser engine for most sites but swich to the IE browser engine for trusted sites (e.g. microsoft.com and AOL.com). The user has the option to override the engine selecttion by clicking a button bottom left of the screen.

So Netscape is Firefox and IE in the one browser. Both at the same time.

Member #
    Thank you for your reply.
    I am using unit based size. I am using font-size: 12px; I tasted with firefox but I am getting the same result as Navigator 7.0. So now I am wondering if there is a way to keep the font size constant regardless the browser font setting. Currently IE is the only browser that is keeping my font size same even after increasing the font size.

My layout is in the table in which I have to put a graphic as a background and text is on top of it. So I have restiction of table width in which the text has to be.

Thank you

Member #
    So now I am wondering if there is a way to keep the font size constant regardless the browser font setting. Currently IE is the only browser that is keeping my font size same even after increasing the font size.
    Absolutly not. IE is the only browser that fails to follow basic accesability guidlines allowing the user to override the font settings of a page so that people with bad eye sight can read the text. It is IE that is wrong not the other browsers. You should either not care, or change your deign so that it copes with different font sizes without breaking.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    You can only plan for so much. If someone enlarges the text to the point where it breaks your layout, it's your choice whether to fix the layout or not. But certainly don't try to disable enlarging text.

Once again: a web page serves your user's wishes, not yours.

Member #
    I get it now
    Thanks for all the replies. This was my first major site design, and I learnt some nasty things about CSS/Text on graphics/Tables etc that text books don't teach

Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads