Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi everyone. We've got an all flash site now that reads content from XML files. I need to be able to add links to the home page but whenever I do that in the XML, it does not show the link and just truncates all the text after the link placement.

I have tried with and without <[[CDATA, but neither seem to work. Unfortunately I don't have any of the flash FLA's so I'm hoping this can be done in XML.

The XML file is here

Thanks very much in advance.

-Mark

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Wait... What exactly is happening?

Member #
    Thanks for the reply. I didn't explain that very well.

When the flash loads the XML file it does not show the link. Instead, it truncates everything from the link on forward. For example, on the XML file that I linked above:

XML file says:

Join the chatroom or go to the
    <a href="http://www.party107.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1317">forums</a>
    for the latest information.
    On the actual site (go to www.party107.com and right on the main page) it shows:

Join the chatroom or go to the
    It pretty much cuts off the rest of the text where the link SHOULD be but never shows the link or the link text. It's kinda hard to explain but if you look at the XML file vs what it actually shows on the site it might make more sense.

Thanks

-Mark

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    For links to work in flash, you have to use an HTMLText object instead of a plain Text object.

Something interesting, too. You can actually make the link call a function within the Flash movie instead of linking to an HTML page, like so:

<a href="asfunction:myFunction,myParameter">

little-known, but very powerful flash functionality!

Member #
    Thanks for the reply. I tried several combinations of what you said in the XML, but the XML is all I have access to. I am not a designer or coder at all really, so I don't have Flash, the FLA's, or any idea how the designer actually loads the XML into the site.

What I don't understand is that the "Links" area of the site (XML here) loads the links via XML into the flash just fine with no special tags or code, but the main/news page doesn't just stops when it comes across a link and parses no further. The only thing the links.xml has is the CDATA tag at the top of the file and a closing one at the bottom, but I've tried that on news as well with no luck.

I'm hoping it's just something I am doing wrong or missing because it would be really bad to continue not to be able to even put a link on the front page of this site.

Thanks again.

-Mark

Remove Ads