Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hello everyone,

I have a problem with firefox displaying my webpage, as it allows users to override my CSS font settine. When enlarged, the font size screws up my layout. How can I make it impossible for firefox to override my CSS declarations?

Many thanks in advance!

Member #
    Oh...Why do you want to hold under your visitors! If their eyesight isn't good, they need enlarge the font.
    It's normal that larger font can screws up a layout.

Member #
    Well, it's because the main page is not about the written content as much as it is about the graphical entry page to the rest of the site, where fonts are quite larger. I just want this page to be compact and well layed out (nothing much to read there).

So?

Member #
    You can't override the users style sheet. There are aways 3 style sheets used for at page. The default styles applied by the browser, the designers styles downloaded with the document and the users styles. The cascade is in the order listed. So the users styles always take highest importance. And so they should. It's my brower, don't mess with it.

Member #
    That doesnt make any sense. Why then dont we send the users a stripped html code, and then let them color the page as they want? Maybe choose their own backgrounds too?

Designers, especially conceptual designers, trying to come up with a theme for the page, spend alot of time, speculation, and effort trying to synthesize the proper layout. It all looks futile, almost rediculous, when a tenacious setting can throw off all your work, and you cant do anything about it. Sorry, but I dont agree with your philosophies on user viewing.

Member #
    firefox will resize text no matter what ..
    there is nothing you can do about that..in fact it resizes to no end..maybe a bug in my opinion..

with IE you can use pixel dimensions for your font size to make the font static.. which will not resize.. ems can be used to allow resizing of text in IE..IE only will resize text three time and then it stops resizing..firefox should also do this in my opinion..

I would say it is good practice to allow your font to resize atleast three levels... small, medium, large..some sites even have buttons that can control this..

even conceptual designers should still take into consideration of usability issues..

What if 25% of web visitors cannot read your web site because the font is to small because of their screen resolution or other factors such as bad eyesight.. well sorry but you just lost 25% of you business..

Member #
    As I said, this page doesnt have much to say or to be read. The rest of the site is versatile as far as font size is concerned.

But thanks yall for your feedback.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    My only suggestion is that instead of using text you create an image containing that text.

Transparent gif should do the job, and won't end up resized on any browser.

Sean

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by seanmiller
    My only suggestion is that instead of using text you create an image containing that text.

Transparent gif should do the job, and won't end up resized on any browser.

Sean
    Yeah do that if you don't want anyone to find your site!!

Search Engines will not be able to see any text on your site, and to them you will have no text on your page, and will be ranked 0!

Member #
    If you use an alt tag a title tag and a longdesc link then it won't make a huge difference most search engines will look at meta, title, and alt text then it reads the whole page.
    Thee Pyro Wolf

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads