Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    I have created a biodiesel site and I want to include news articles that are revelent to Soy bean biodiesel. Is RSS my answer? If so how do I setup my site to receive news articles.

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    First you've got to find a source for the articles.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    figured it out. Created a page to receive the news articles that are revelent to the site. Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Can you share how you did it, eric? I'm confused as to whether I need a reader to put feeds on my site.

I would like to include rss feeds from gamspot or yahoo! games on my site. So far I've only been able to use rss-to-javascript feeds and would really like to know how to do it properly so search engines can pick up the feed. Thanks.

Member #
    Same here, i used a RSS/Javascript build code website to help me with the code. I then created style attributes to customize it.

I needed something quick to sell to the client.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    They don't mind the javascript? I ask because I too plan to sell a similiar site to my own but am concerned they wouldn't buy a site not done with true rss. Is javascript detectable by search engines and how have your clients responded to your using it?

Member #
    Duck,

The page is http://integritybiofuels.com/news.asp.

Basically the idea i have is to give the users who visit the site more information about biofuels and such. I don't think the client cares how it is accessible. I'm not posting any news articles but want news articles from other pages that relate to what the site is about.

Hope that makes sense.

Member #
    You used someone else's code and someone else's news... and then sold it to the client?

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Fallout,

You have to understand the context in which it's being done.

In addition, many webmasters use outside rss feeds on their sites to beef up their content and improve search engine performance. That doesn't mean everything on their site is produced elsewhere. From there, it's not so much of a stretch to understand the selling of such a site. Whether you buy your site from someone else or design it yourself, many will want some rss on their site for the many benefits they provide: Quick, revelevant, and automatically updatable content that is detected by search engines.

Yahoo!, for example, uses rss feeds from gamspot but, I'm sure you wouldn't deem Yahoo! unworthy of being purchaced.

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    I don't think he's attempting to say the RSS content is his to sell, he's just selling the RSS parsing code. After all 99.99% of rss feeds are free. I only know of one that isn't.

Now he did sell the rss parsing code, which someone else may have done. That has ethical (and possibly legal) implications.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads