Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Member #
    Like stated above presentational markup should not be placed in the document and therefore <b> should not be used
    Thee Pyro Wolf

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I believe they're only valid in XHTML 1.0 Transitional and not in XHTML 1.0 Scrict, and certainly not in XHTML 1.1.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    It's valid for Transitional and Strict. I tested it with the W3C validator today.

Quote Originally Posted by pyrodragon
    Like stated above presentational markup should not be placed in the document and therefore <b> should not be used
    In such a case, how is <strong> any better?

Not trying to start an argument, I just don't see the logic.

Member #
    True, Both examples have presentational markup in them the differece is strong suggest the content should be strengthened eg make it standout so that any browser can render it whereas b is bold and only bold not often renerable by a text brower(not often seen anymore i know) or one that speaks or interprets your code into brail
    It is suggested that you do use the css atribute
    Code:
    .bold {font-weight:bold;}
    so the most suggested method for compliancy would be
    HTML Code:
    <p style="font-weight:bold;">This should be bold</p>
    <p>well this should not</p>
    Although useing strong tags would be considered more accessable
    Thee Pyro Wolf

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Same reason you should use <em> versus <i> for emphasis. Just <i> won't be read with emphasis. <em>'s first purpose is to mark the value as important and second to render it in italics. That's the concept of semantic markup: it describes the content, not its appearance.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by filburt1
    Same reason you should use <em> versus <i> for emphasis. Just <i> won't be read with emphasis. <em>'s first purpose is to mark the value as important and second to render it in italics. That's the concept of semantic markup: it describes the content, not its appearance.
    exactly my point thank you filburt
    Thee Pyro Wolf

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Perfectly valid code is something to shoot for but is not absolutly required. I used to be very picky about my code. What I found out is achieving roughtly 90% validity was very easy, but that last 10% would eat up most of my time, and it was usually minor technicallities. Code validity is alot like grammer. Although you want to sound educated and informed, you dont have to sound like an oxford graduate in order to communicate your message effectivly.

So to answer your question, unless you have a specific reason to write perfect code, it is usually not worth the hassle. But it is worth it to make as much as you can valid and to continue to improve upon that.

Because lets face it.. IE and most browsers will continue to support depreciated tags, and invalid markup for a very long time. And why wast most of your effort trying to fix something that is largely transparent anyway?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrodragon
    That's lol...

It's not presentational to mark something as bold. How the heck else are you supposed to do it? (I want no debate about it, because there is no question about whether it's correct or not, it's simply nothing wrong with it)

It's not hard to be standards-compliant if you got a simple layout, but when you get into scripting and making the site more dynamic it might be nice to have a couple of custom attributes that the script can attach itself to.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by echoSwe
    It's not presentational to mark something as bold. How the heck else are you supposed to do it? (I want no debate about it, because there is no question about whether it's correct or not, it's simply nothing wrong with it)
    There are other ways to markup something to represent something as bold useing strong represents it as bold and is interpreted as strengthened and not just bold.
    if achiveing bolding is the desired effect styleing should be used hince bold [minicode]<b>Line of text</b>[/minicode] being presentational markup
    Thee Pyro Wolf

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads