Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Anyone CSS why?

Member #
    Hey there peeps, I was just wondering if anyone reckons they know why one of my css boxes is extending past it's boundries in Netscape? Its a bit a of a mystery to me and it works fine in internet explorer.
    You can have a look at www.appletv.co.uk and the style sheet is attached so you'll have to save it. Well thanks guys drop a line if you find any solutions.
    www.appletv.co.uk

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Originally posted by tha_Gsheep
    ...the style sheet is attached...

filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Your problem starts here:
    Code:
      <p class="temp"> <br>
        This site will provide more info<br>
        soon but if you wish to get in contact please do at :<br>

<br>
        &lt;phone no.&gt;</p>
    <br>
      <p class=email>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
    <a href="mailto:appletvdesign@yahoo.co.uk">info@appletv.co.uk</a></p>
    Way too many breaks and paragraphs in there. You're confusing your poor browsers.

Try something like this:
    Code:
      <p class="temp">
        This site will provide more info<br>
        soon but if you wish to get in<br>
        contact please do at:</p>
      <p>
        &lt;phone no.&gt;
      </p>
      <p class=email>
        &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
        <a href="mailto:appletvdesign@yahoo.co.uk">info@appletv.co.uk</a>
      </p>
    Also, if you want to prevent content from exceeding the size of a div, try adding the style overflow: hidden;. that will resolve that problem (add it to the leftside class).

Now, as far as everything is concerned, you've got way too much going on in your stylesheets here. The purpose of a stylesheet is to allow reusable styles within your code, thereby simplifying things. You have a different style for each unique id within your page. It would have been a simpler task to have designed this thing with tables or <div style="style:style; style:style"> layout. My guess is that you're playing around with divs and stylesheets to try some new things? That's cool for experimentation, but remember that you want everyone seeing this thing the same. When you get into really complex layouts like you have there, you often get unpredictable results. Try to keep it as simple as you can.

Member #
    Yeah you hit the nail on the head there. I am new to just coding it blind without a WYSIWYG editor. All the styles and stuf fin the sheet are for the rest of the site which I'm about to stick up, it all works fine it's just this frame that causes trouble.
    I wanted to do this page all in css and make it w3c compliant because I thought it would be nice to hold my portfolio on and because the two bars at the side don't change I could use the <div> layers like old frames and load individual frames in the middle rather than a whole page(much more impressive)
    Thx a lot for the help, yeah I probably am a messy coder and could simplify some stuff down a bit.

tha_Gsheep
    www.appletv.co.uk

Remove Ads