Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I'm working on a website for a comic book right now, which is going fairly well. But the problem right now is, it's running off a pre-existing server, a server used for another site I did (roughsketchstudio.com). It's going to stay there, I don't want to change that, but I bought a domain name (koniwaves.com) through earthlink to open the homepage the comic website (which is running on the roughsketchstudio.com server). Can I repoint koniwaves.com to open a specific file on the server? I apoligize if this question is a little incoherant, it's just kinda hard to put into words what it is I'm trying to do.

Any help at all would be a huge deal! Thanx in advance.

Mike

My OS is WinXP
    FTP Client: WS_FTP
    Host: Earthlink
    Existing Site: roughsketchstudio.com
    Repoint: roughsketchstudio.com/koniwaves.htm (new domain KoniWaves.com)

Member #
    I am not sure if I follow.

Do you want to edit the file on the roughsketchstudio.com site to go to koniwaves.com?
    Or you want to have code that calls upon the file on roughsketchstudio from the koniwaves.com site?

The first can be achieved with a meta refresh.

HTML Code:
    <!-- Place this in your home/index file on roughsketchstudio -->
    <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="5;URL=http://www.koniwaves" />
    (http://webmaster.iu.edu/tool_guide_i..._metatag.shtml)

For the second, there are a few methods, but does that solve your problem?

Member #
    thanx bfsog, I really appreciate you getting back to me. I gotta say, even though the first suggestion didn't totally solve my problem, it is something I'm glad I now know.

Basically what I'm want is when you type in "koniwaves.com" in your adress bar, I want it to open the file "koniwaves.htm" which is on the server for "roughsketchstudio.com". (the only way to access it right now is to type on all of this "roughsketchstudio.com/koniwaves.htm")

Another way to put it is... Is there a way to type "koniwaves.com" in your address bar and have it direct you to "roughsketchstudio.com/koniwaves.htm"? As of right now, "koniwaves.com" is just a domain name, that leads nowhere.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Put bfsog's HTML in an index.html file in koniwaves.com. They'll be redirected in 5 seconds. An HTTP header redirect or simply pointing the domain to the proper site in the first place is preferable, though.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Yes, what filburt1 says is true.

However if you have cpanel along with your domain koniwaves.com you should be able to setup a redirect.

This way you would not the index.html file, and you would be directed to whatever you wish (roughsketchstudio.com/index.html)

Member #
    Thanx for the effort guys, but I think my main problem is I only registered the domain name. So it's a free-standing domain name with nothing attached. Earthlink calls it a "Parked Domain". My problem right now is no matter where I redirect it, the error message "www.koniwaves.com can not be found. Please check the name and try again" keeps coming up. Am I doing something wrong? Like I tried redirecting it to roughsketchstudio.com and even that didn't work. This is what the window looks like that I'm working with.

I though that by buying this domain name I could apply it to "roughsketchstudio.com/koniwaves.htm". The point in buying the domain name was so that people wouldn't have to type all that stuff in.
    Thank you for your patience guys, I really really appreciate it.
    I just really want to get this running if possible.

Member #
    Where is this server that is hosting the original site ? Is it your own or a hosting company's server?

If it is your own, you can setup koniwaves.com on it, and then depending on what webserver(IIS, apache) you are running, you can redirect that domain to roughsketchstudio.com/koniwaves.htm

What other options does earthlink give you? Maybe there is something else that could redirect....

Member #
    Judging by your image, it is because you reference roughsketchstudio.com/koniwaves.htm

Try taking out the koniwaves.htm part and that should redirect to roughsketchstudio.com

Remove Ads