Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi, I'm wanting to adapt the look of http://www.ainsleehooper.com to http://www.ainsleehooper.com/ahooper/ The problem is that /ahooper/ is created by a program that generates the html, and it contains over 8000 files. Is there an easy way to adapt the css from the original area to the /ahooper/ area? Am new to this so am looking for anything to assist in this. Eventually I want to adapt the css to every area of my site. Any info appreciated, thanks, Ainslee

Member #
    If you want to create the look of the blog on your home page then yes this is possible with CSS. If you want to add the functionality the blog offers, then you will need to use another language.

All of this can be done with CSS.

Do you have any experience with it?

Member #
    Hey,
    Yeah of course this can be done with CSS and if you don't know how to write CSS code then I really suggest you learn as it will change you life. If you need any tutorial sites for CSS then i've enlisted a few below.
    www.Pixel2life.com
    www.w3schools.com
    www.htmlgoodies.com
    www.Tutorialfx.com
    Hope any of these links.
    - Dan

Member #
    Excellent. I've got no experience with it, so am eager to learn as it seems like it can offer a lot. My only limitation is that the /ahooper/ which is the family tree section, is generated by a family tree program. Therefore it gives me no options of editing the look and feel of the pages except for the header and footer. There's over 8000 files in that directory. What would be the solution to letting these pages all have the same feel with only being able to edit the header and footer of the pages? Is that at all possible?

The other thing i'm doing at the moment is looking at the gedcom file, which is the data that is used to generate the html files and seeing if it's worth putting that into a database and editing the feel and look from there. Ultimately though I want to go with the first option, because editing my family tree is done via this program and as I do it on a regular basis any other method seems impossible at the moment.

Thanks for the sites, will be interested to see what you think about this idea, cheers, Ainslee

Member #
    Hi Ainslee.

It`s simple enough to get started..... just add

HTML Code:
    <style type="text/css" media="screen">
        @import url( http://www.ainsleehooper.com/wordpress/wp-content/themes/almost-spring/style.css );
    </style>
    to your ahooper.htm page (for example).
    Put the code anywhere between the <head> and </head> tags.
    I put it on a line after the </title> tag....

HTML Code:
    <title>Family Tree of Ainslee Hooper</title>
        <style type="text/css" media="screen">
            @import url( http://www.ainsleehooper.com/wordpress/wp-content/themes/almost-spring/style.css );
        </style>
    </head>
    what the <style> stuff does is get the page to load and apply the same CSS
    stylesheet for the ahooper.htm page that you use for your wordpress pages.
    It brings it a little closer to the look of your Wordpress blog, but any extra
    stylings you want will either have to be added as CSS to the `style.css`, or
    change some of the tags in the unstyled pages to fit in with what`s already
    on the `style.css` .

Hope that makes sense.

#E8E8CE is the background colour for the Blog, so your own
    images will look better using that backround, than white....
    see attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Thankyou so much!! I'm uploading my changes right now. What a simple solution! I was thinking I'd have to create a whole new database program etc for it but you've just solved my problem totally. I am now going to try and do the same for my /gallery/ and my /phpBB2/ directories. I'm assuming I just do the same things there? Thankyou again Ainslee

Member #
    np Ainsley. I`m impressed with how much you`ve adapted your Wordpress Blog.... if you can shed some light on all that for me I`d appreciate it.. I`m a Wordpress newbie.

Any more css etc questions just contact me at my work email.

Cheers,

G

Member #
    I thought i'd reply here to give others info if they wished. Wordpress is very easy to adapt. Basically I chose a theme I liked, and then in the theme editor within Wordpress I just added the required code to get the plugins working after i'd installed them. Check out www.wordpress.org. Cheers, Ainslee

Remove Ads