Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi, I'm kinda new here. I started with photoshop awhile ago but just started using it for websites recently. Now I got a pretty nice design setup, but I have the coding IQ of an eight year old. I'm still not sure If I did this all right. I made my layout in 778x500 fallowing some websites tips, and I can't seem to make it all fit in on dreamweaver, I got white space all over the place, and it only occupies a part of the screen.
    So basicly anyone that could help me out just a little with the basics of DW or link me to a good walkthrough would help dearly, thanks!
    jjw

Member #
    oooh. Dreamweaver. Spawn of Satan.

ok. Firstly make sure you slice up all the photoshop gfx in Imageready. Only use what you need in the website (header, menu, sidebar gfx, any small stuff you want to tile). I prefer jpeg`s mainly when saving, but it depends on the image... if it`s only 32 colours, it`s normally better to use a .gif .

Anyway, you probably have all that sorted.

First thing in DW is to make some tables. Make one large table the exact size of your website.... this will be the containing table (like a big box you chuck everything in).
    Then put another table inside of that one, with however many columns and rows you need for your site. 2 or 3 of each should be enough. Experiment.
    Then drag each image slice you saved earlier into the relevant table cell (eg header to go at the very top cell). If you have too many cells anywhere just highlight the ones you want to merge and `merge` them. You`ll get the hang of it.

The main thing in DW with any content is it`s a pain in the *** (for me anyway), as it always wants to add whitespace around everything. You need to go into the settings/properties of each image and cell and say 0 padding, 0 margins and 0 everything really... and build back up from there if you need to.

Personally I use Notepad and CSS, but use DW and Homesite for the pretty colours (seriously... it makes it easier to see what code is where).

Hope that helps. I`m not a DW expert though so maybe some others can comment too.

Member #
    I sliced up all my template, and I went into "Save for Web" so I basicly open my webpage up on dreamweaver with all the slices, im not sure I know what u mean by tables... ugh

Member #
    You`re probably (if I`m reading you right), opening up the `index.htm` that Imageready saved, in Dreamweaver. What you should do is start from scratch in DW and set up the tables yourself etc, OR just look at the `index.htm` that Imageready saved, and adjust anything in it via Notepad. DW generally is a pain in my experience. Or open the site up in DW and adjust everything in there if you want (and are brave enough).

I think I`ll leave any further explanation to you doing some googling on DW and tables, or the DW experts on the forum. I could learn some stuff too on how to make DW more user-friendly

Member #
    I think I get what you mean, problem is I'd need like 20 collums... I have alot of layers overlapping on each other so it would take me years to do it like that.

Remove Ads