Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi, I'm relatively new to web design, but I need some help with a problem I have.
    I am a co-owner of a digitalphotography forums site and we have2 monthly contests. At the end of a month, we need to generate a poll in order to determine a winner from amongst our members. I have generated the following form:
    http://www.faulkvalley.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/DPE/forum/voting %20jan%2006%20circles.htm
    My problems are that:
    1. when I submit it, it opens up Outlook or whatever email programme and I dont want this, I want it to to just go to another screen and say thanks for your vote, but it sends an email to myself and other joint owner so we cxan collect the votes.
    2. the drop down menus don't display the description of what has been voted for in the form, it just comes up "submit vote"
    Any help would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Simon

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    1) The reason why it opens up a new email is because that is what you are asking the form to do with this line of code..

HTML Code:
    <FORM action="(list of email addresses)"
    instead you should have the form's 'action' go to a script of some sort written in your favorite language. For example..

HTML Code:
    <FORM action="/scripts/pollsubmit.php"...
    It could send your visitor to a conformation page if the form is filled out properly and either send you the vote via email, or maybe store the results in a database of some sort that can be retrived by you later or displayed on the site. There are literally endless ways to tackle this problem. It all depends on what you use to create your script and what resources you have avaliable.

2) I am not really sure what the problem is here.. I see both drop downs have many choices and the only place i see "submit vote" is on the submit vote button, where it should be i imagine.

Hope this at least gets you started..

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by glyakk
    instead you should have the form's 'action' go to a script of some sort written in your favorite language. For example..

HTML Code:
    <FORM action="/scripts/pollsubmit.php"...
    Thanks for the reply, I'm going to be honest, I havent got the slightest clue when it comes to script or php..... I also know that the webspace I have the site on, doesn't allow databases on it.
    any pointers?
    Simon

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Dont forget flat files(text) and XML are also database. So if you have webspace, you have the ability to use a database.

What exactly do you want to do with the script? Do you simply want your user to go to a thank you page and you immediatly get an email with the results, for you to do as you choose? Or do you want this to do much more? Such as the information being added to an XML file(or other database) that can then be used to display the information?

Either way you have to find out what scripts you are allowed to use on your site. If you are limited to client side only scripts like javascript, or if you can use php or asp or cfm or etc...

I am not trying to overcomplicate things but like I said in my previous post this is not a question with one answer. So if you can narrow what exactly you want the script to do, and what resources you have avaliable I may be able to assist you with finding or forming a sutiable script.

Remove Ads