Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Darn that IE is so friendly with the kind of CSS I'm using however when I try other browsers my work is torn to shreds. Should i be somewhat comforted that the majority of Americans (including the non-Internet savvy people who don't care about CSS standards or code..they just want the work done) are using Internet Explorer and not these other browsers like Mozilla?

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    Well the funny thing is, IE is horrible at parsing correct CSS, most other browsers do it a lot better
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Lol yeah, I always use Firefox first, then fix it all up in IE

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    The IE7 beta is now available, and as of right now it's being welcomed pretty well by alot of the people who have tried it out. It fixes many of the flaws that have been with IE6 for some time now.

If I had a link I would suggest downloading it, but I seem to have misplaced it.

Try it out, it'll soon be the second most used browser on earth, and I'm sure the experience will be welcoming.

Member #
    Back to your question, should you be comforted that it works in IE and not other things...

No.

First of all, IE is seeing less and less of the market share, despite still having a majority. More and more people are using Firefox, including my mother, who called me in hysterics after her computer crashed because she didn't know how to get Firefox back on the computer. Furthermore, Macs are becoming more accessible and therefore more popular, and no self-respecting Mac user browses in IE. What works in Firefox on a PC, will work in Firefox on a Mac.

Next thing to realize is that, as a web designer, it is your JOB to make your layouts compatible with all browsers on all platforms. Unless your client and all of that person's target audience are all over age 60, somebody will likely close your site due to bad design. Now this does not mean they are perfect and identical in each browser, it simply means no major elements are compromised.

I hope that answers your question, now here's my question to you... What "type" of CSS are you using that it works in IE and nothing else???
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Remove Ads