Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    dHTML is merely a browser feature that provides your browser (Web page) to be dynamic. dHTML is not Javascript although it relies on it, but Javascript used in webpage relies heavily on the fourth generation browser features. So, in short although it is Javascript and HTML but can't be called so because of its reliance on the browser features. Only those 4th generation browser allows over web page to be dynamic.
    So what exactly is dynamic when we say dHTML?
    By dynamic we meant to say that the webpage ability to modify itself on certain functions when activated by users. Change can be either content or the layout on the fly.
    Advantages:-
    1. Fast and Zippy: - dHTML loads content on fly. Your whole page does not loads but only the content part that needs to be altered, so saving the crucial time for the users and giving the snazzy look to the website.
    2. Plug-ins, we donít need them:- dHTML uses most of the features already present in the browsers, so there is no need to download any sort of Plug-ins.
    3. Great Utility:- The dynamic features possessed by dHTML are helping web designers to create Web pages that posses compact looks, downloads fast, have graphic effects, provides greater functionality and can hold much more text or content all at the same time.
    Disadvantages:-
    1. Costly Editing tools: - although dHTML provides great functionality but the editorsí available for that in market are pretty expensive. Examples of dHTML editors are Dreamweaver and Fusion.
    2. Long and Complex coding: - dHTML coding is long and complex. Only the expert Javascript and HTML programmers can write them and edit them with good degree of functionality.
    3. Browser Support problems: - dHTML suffers from browser support problems for different browsers. For example, a code written for Netscape might not work in Internet Explorer and Vice-Versa. The problem arises due to the different features of browsers.
    Conclusion:-
    dHTML is a great utility that a website can posses although its still in development phase. You can always use small dHTML features to enhance your website utility and make it faster. We can expect much more in the time to come.

by Rahul Goyal
    Sycamore.in
    Fair Deal India
    Online Ludhiana - Bringing Punjabi's together
    Yahoo India Forum - A Complete Portal

Member #
    DHTML is last decade's Ajax: An overhyped buzzword. In fact, at least Ajax means something; DHTML apparently just means Javascript, especially as bastardized by the IE team years ago, who thought that their DOM should be called DHTML. But you seem to be talking about both server-side and client-side scripting; make up your mind, and stop using this pointless acronym.
    I am Alan Hogan (@alanhogan on Twitter). I like PHP, UI/UX design, and OS X.

Member #
    If you switch off javascript on you browser do dhtml features still work?
    dHTML is a great utility that a website can posses although its still in development phase.
    How many years has that been. I suspect flash long ago took up fancy user interaction long ago.

Member #
    So what'syour point? The article seems kinda old.
    DHTML is still used - the greatest common denominator between the browsers is javascript. Then IE has some DirectX/Filters that your can use. Opera has SVG (and so does the nightly builds of Firefox) and supports animation with SVG. Most of the current hype is around XmlHttpRequest, and its use in web pages - how it affects usability and what code architecture is the optimal to use when dealing with asynchronous requests.

www.ajaxian.com is a good place for modern dhtml.

Member #
    Opera has SVG (and so does the nightly builds of Firefox)
    Firefox has native SVG since 1.5.

Member #
    If you switch off javascript on you browser do dhtml features still work?
    No.

DHTML is last decade's Ajax: An overhyped buzzword. In fact, at least Ajax means something; DHTML apparently just means Javascript, especially as bastardized by the IE team years ago, who thought that their DOM should be called DHTML. But you seem to be talking about both server-side and client-side scripting; make up your mind, and stop using this pointless acronym.
    The big difference between javascript and DHTML is that DHTML uses javascript to execute HTML. In essence, ajax is the exact same thing as DHTML, the only difference is that in order for your site to really use ajax you have to use XHTML. Since ajax stands for asynchronized javascript and xhtml.

Also, it's not a pointless acronym. It's really more of a name for a method used to optimize a website with more client-side interaction. I agree that it is not an actual scripting language however.

Member #
    in order for your site to really use ajax you have to use XHTML. Since ajax stands for asynchronized javascript and xhtml.
    Nope.
    According to Jesse James Garret, the guy who coined "Ajax," the XML (it's Asynchonous JavaScript And XML, not XHTML) part is optional; HTML, plain text, or JSON, for example, is fine as a return from the server, and certainly Ajax is Ajax whether the page using it is declared to be XHTML or HTML.
    From his page:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse James
    Q. Some of the Google examples you cite donít use XML at all. Do I have to use XML and/or XSLT in an Ajax application? A. No. XML is the most fully-developed means of getting data in and out of an Ajax client, but thereís no reason you couldnít accomplish the same effects using a technology like JavaScript Object Notation or any similar means of structuring data for interchange.
    I've also heard this said by other authorities, but the specifics elude me.

Member #
    I did not know this.

Then, in actuality, ajax and dhtml are the exact same things with different words.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by joshklinger
    I did not know this.

Then, in actuality, ajax and dhtml are the exact same things with different words.
    [acronym=As Far As I Know]AFAIK[/acronym] DHTML does not necessarily contact a web server for data, which is critical in Ajax.

DHTML means, as I understand it, "using JavaScript to change something on the page" -- it can be elaborate or not, but that covers almost all meaningful JavaScript usages; that's why I call it a useless acronym. You can say WDF uses DHTML, and that Google Maps does, and that a whole ton of sites do; but that doesn't really help.

Remove Ads