Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I'm sure this has a very simple answer but i have tried the few things i know and am stumped. I have a heading and i want text to align on the left and the right of it.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    Hum? Or do you want a text wrap?

A link would be helpful.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    I want it to look like this www.surfinglifestore.com , the part where on the left you have Surf Shop, then in the middle Best Sellers etc, and on the left my account and shopping basket.

Thanks

Member #
    This was done with three table cells. The first was aligned left, the second aligned center, and the third aligned right. I scrubbed the code from the site to show just the bones of what was happening:
    Code:
    <table border="0" width="100%">
      <tr>
        <td width="33%">&nbsp;&nbsp;Surf Shop</td>
        <td width="34%" align="center">Best Sellers&nbsp;|&nbsp;New&nbsp;|&nbsp;Specials&nbsp;|&nbsp;Hot</td>
        <td width="33%" align="right" >My Account&nbsp;|&nbsp; Shopping basket</td>
      </tr>
    </table>

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    View Source should be the first thing you do when you look at a site and see something you like.
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by karinne
    View Source should be the first thing you do when you look at a site and see something you like.
    So true!

In this particular case, vertmonkee, give a thanks to audiofreak because the code listed above is a lot cleaner than what is actually there. Always make links relative!

This affect could also be accomplished with CSS. Define each area with the same height and position-top, then make the width 33-34-33%. Or, what might even be better is having a container to put them in. You may need to define a float as well. Play around.
    Shani

Member #
    Thanks very much audiofreak,

I now have a little bar laid out exactly as i wnated. The only thing i will ask is what do you mean Karinne "Always make links relative"? I appreciate your help and if i can do anything to make answering my questions easier for others i'd like to do it.

Thanks again.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by vertmonkee
    The only thing i will ask is what do you mean Karinne "Always make links relative"?
    I didn't say that

Quote Originally Posted by DCScene
    Always make links relative!
    he did

There are a few good articles out there on the pros and cons of each.

Member #
    The links comment was not about your site, obviously, but the site to which you posted. It has absolute links for internal pages, which is bad. There are two types of links, relative and absolute. Absolute links should only be used when directing someone outside of your site. Relative links should be internal.

Examples
    Absolute link includes a full url:
    HTML Code:
    <a href="www.mysite.com/photos.html">
    Relative link is only part of the url, thereby allowing more flexibility if a directory is changed later. This is especially the case when using a WYSIWG that automatically updates links. Not to mention it's less to type, and therefore makes for a lighter page, albeit slightly.
    HTML Code:
    <a href="photos.html">
    Shani

Remove Ads