Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I have been developing my website in XHTML and CSS (and PHP for SSI). Primarily, I've used Firefox to view it during the process, but occasionally checking out Internat Explorer's "takes-too-much-creative-liberty" rendition of my code to work around any glitches it may have had.

After making a few significant changes to my CSS in order to fix a stupid mistake of mine, I noticed that when viewed in IE, my site looks like something an animal vomitted up (sections of the middle column DIV disappear, along with some border craziness. Pages with multiple AdSense scripts at the top of the page decide to stop allowing my right column to float, apparently) If someone with more experience in the feild of "The IE Factor" could help me out, it would be greatly appreciated.

My site is: http://popearthur.com
    The style-sheet is at: http://popearthur.com/v.css

Any other comments or suggestions on altogether improving my site are perfectly welcome.
    Music, writing, and nerdery by Arthur Pope.
    www.PopeArthur.com -I'm Ex Cathedra, baby!

Member #
    I've had this problem (still do actually). The problem seems to be the height of your central area (#mcontent). In FF it extends and over laps the footer area, while in IE there's a gap. Try defining a height value for this. Problem with doing that is you may end up with vertical scroll bars. Mmmm....

On the site in general ... looks fine (in FF anyway) ... what's it about?

Member #
    Thank you for the reply! I'll have to try that. The site is mainly intended to be my personal music website (I'll actually have some of my recordings on it soon). I have ended up including a lot of other things though... just because I can.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Have you fxed it? 'Cause I can't see a difference between FF and IE
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    No, I have not yet fixed it. I will update this thread when I do though.

There is no difference for you? Interesting.

There is on the machines that I have viewed it on. What version of IE are you using/OS are you running?

I have seen the problems on a machine running Windows 98, IE version 6 (I think) and XP, IE version 6.0.2600

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    IE 6.0.2800 on WIN2000
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    Okay, so my adventure began by adding the trusty <!--[if IE]> tag to all of my pages in order to tack on an additional style-sheet in the case that my site is being view in Internet Explorer. I went with the advice of defineing a definite height, and well, it worked. The problem with the holes between the content and footer was now behind me.

Unfortunately, it was not long before I noticed that a certian problem of mine still remained. There were a few pages which were still very broken. They all had the same flaw, and seemingly, the same cause. These few pages when viewed in IE 600x800 resolution decided that the screen wasn't big enough to handle a 15%-width navigation bar, a 486px-wide, and 120px-wide AdSense script all side-by-side (that's roughly 726px, folks) and decided to push my middle-column content down below both of the sidebars, leaving a big blue nothing above the fold. Firefox handled this task with no problem, but apparently it was just too much for IE. I haven't decided how I want to fix the problem yet, but it doesn't matter, as there is a different purpose for this post.

When viewing in IE at my normal resolution (1024x768) all of the pages with the problem looked fine... except one: STUPID BROKEN PAGE

If you see what I see, it should all look fine, aside from the fact that there is nothing in the middle until you scroll past the ads. Horribly annoying. Apparently, the flaw in this page has a cause unique to the others, though the resulting problem appears to be the same...

I found that problem, and this is what has me so puzzled that I have no other choice but to write this ridiculously long post in order to share it with you all.

Check it out: AWESOME FIXED PAGE

Same page, problem fixed. But did you notice the one other alteration that was made?

-------------THE ITALICS!----------------

I have no idea why, but just check this out (I hope I'm not the only one who sees this, because that would be horribly embarassing):

STUPID BROKEN PAGE uses this additional style
    AWESOME FIXED PAGE uses this additional style

The only difference is the italics at the top of the page and the problem went bye-bye... can anyone explain this to me?

Member #
    Sounds really Odd.

I've seen stuff like this happen before.

This guy I know had a problem where he took out the sunroof from his car and whenever he drove above 65mph he would get mental vibrations through the steering wheel.

He did everything to try and fix this (everything he could afford and he could think of) but nothing worked and one day he was driving along at 70 and just happened to put one hand out the hole left by the missing sunroof... And the vibration completely stopped!

The moral is that problems with browsers displaying your site can be (and invariably are) the most unexpected attributes or tags. You need to think outside the box some times otherwise you'll just pull your hair out.
    No ma'am, we in IT don't have a sense of humor we're aware of.

Remove Ads