Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi people,

anyone know if there is a problem with using the marquee tag in mozilla? trying to use it for a client (i know it looks bad:ermm: ), but it seems to cut the text off before it has scrolled all the way over?? works fine in IE for some reason

<MARQUEE WIDTH=100% BEHAVIOR=SCROLL DIRECTION=RIGHT BGColor=yellow><P>Some scrolling text man...........</P></MARQUEE>

any tips??:classic:

Member #
    Marquee tags are almost universally frowned upon.
    They are annoying and force the user to read text only when it's visible, as opposed to being able to scan the entire page.

They don't exist in the HTML specifications; Microsoft invented them. Mozilla sometimes follows IE just because then more pages will be similar in all browsers -- that's why you're seeing the marquee at all.

Here's an idea: ditch the marquee.

If you want to draw attention to the message in the marquee, use other images and styles to do so! Stripes, borders, the colors red or orange --- they attract attention too, and without being so annoying.
    I am Alan Hogan (@alanhogan on Twitter). I like PHP, UI/UX design, and OS X.

Member #
    Yeah ditch the marquee, it's completely deprecated. Check this out for an alternative http://www.onlinetools.org/tools/domnews/

Member #
    cheers guys,

this is my 1st pro job and i was unsure about what to do as i know that it is a bad tag to use but the client insisted, although I advised other measures like a sidebar or box to highlight cetain aspects. anyway they don't want to move so i guess i'll have to have a wee talk to them or try out the link suggested daniel (cheers btw:classic

cheers

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by curley_bhoy
    cheers guys,

this is my 1st pro job and i was unsure about what to do as i know that it is a bad tag to use but the client insisted, although I advised other measures like a sidebar or box to highlight cetain aspects. anyway they don't want to move so i guess i'll have to have a wee talk to them or try out the link suggested daniel (cheers btw:classic

cheers
    Yeah, It sucks when non-techs ton't know whats good for them.
    No ma'am, we in IT don't have a sense of humor we're aware of.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by dchesterton
    Yeah ditch the marquee, it's completely deprecated. Check this out for an alternative http://www.onlinetools.org/tools/domnews/
    I totally agree with this guy. This alternative gives the same effect as a marquee and works in all browsers.. what more can you client want?
    Hyperair

Remove Ads