Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I'm a semi-newbie to web design. Been doing it for awhile but have been leaning on the Dreamweaver crutch the whole time.

I need some advice about a site I'm designing for my band. We have a regular site, but this one will be specifically for our new album, with just album-related info on it. Check out this rough template:

http://www.familygrooveco.com/bg.jpg

I think I want some sort of frames set-up where the outer border (including header and bottom text links) stays static, and the content changes in the middle when the text links are clicked - a frames sort of thing. However, I want the page to be small (600x400) and to have a border around the whole thing (as is in the above picture), but I could not seem to get this effect with frames in Dreamweaver.

I've come across "iframes" in trying to figure this out, though I'm not quite sure what they are or how to use them. Does anyone know if iframes would be a good solution for my desired outcome? I'm sure I can dig up some tutorials on iframes, so my main question is whether iframes are an appropriate tool for what I want to do.

Any help would certainly be most appreciated!

Member #
    The only advice I can give is that iframes are generally very discouraged due to browser compatability and search result issues. By the looks of that image your design is quite easily done using css and divs. Help is on hand if you want to learn more about that method.
    Currently using: Firefox 1.5, IE 7, Notepad, Ms Paint, GIMP

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    A scrollable div would do it for ya

Code:
    <div style="overflow: auto;">bla bla</div>
    That's a what I used on this site... it's similar to what you are trying to achieve. (it's french but click on the link on the left you'll get pages with content)
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    Iframes are fine.. but as they always pose problems with search engines it's not advisable. While it appears in search engines.. search engines always link directly to the page, and so your main page with the links will not be there. There are hacks to overcome this. Anyway, here's your iframe code:

HTML Code:
    <iframe src="page.html" name="lalala" id="lalala"></iframe>
    your links on the page should be something like this in order to make it open in the Iframe.
    HTML Code:
    <a href="page1.html" target="lalala">click here</a>
    or you could just opt to change the default value for the target attribute.
    HTML Code:
    <base target="lalala" />
    Hyperair

Remove Ads