Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Freelance fees

Member #
    OK this question doesn't seem to fit in any of the categories....

Anyway, I've just implemented a Perl search script to search a website which involved coding the script and designing the results page to fit in the with sitee design.

The thing is, I've been asked by the person how much I'd like them to pay me and I have no idea as I've not done any freelancing before.
    I'd appreciate some tips on freelance coding/web design pricing.
    Web Development blog and freelancer
    http://www.duncanhalley.co.uk/

Member #
    A common reply to such a question (on this forum for sure) is if you are starting out, to have a fixed fee and to have agreed what is to be done.

It seems this step was missed by yourself and the client.

How much you charge should depend on how long the project took, and your skills.

Also if you are new to starting out you may want to be a little generous, to ensure you get that next contract.

Hope this helps.

Member #
    I'm struggling to come up with some kind of "per hour" charge.
    Web Development blog and freelancer
    http://www.duncanhalley.co.uk/

Member #
    When I started out I went for 20 per hour, estimated how long the project took (as a novice I was generous since the client shouldn't have to pay for me to look up books) and did the sums. I would strongly recommend keeping time sheets, mainly for your own reference to see how long certain tasks take. That way, next time you can quote more accurate prices. The better you get, the more you can charge (so long as you produce is of good quality).

Too cheap and they'll not have faith in what you produced. Too expensive and they'll not come back (or not pay).

Hope this helps

Remove Ads