Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: ie probs

Member #
    hi, i seem to have some probs with the layout of my site in IE.

the container is too small in IE but fine in other browsers. if i change the width to suit IE it messes up for the others. what can i do?

this link is only a test and the home page is for my own site so please ignore.

cheers

Member #
    I get a 500 server error..

Member #
    works fine for me?? strange??

Member #
    You can make this layout with a lot less css than you use now, anyway, haven't seen too much on your code but width problems are common in different browsers, I'll suggest you insert this somewhere in your css

* {margin: 0;
    padding: 0;}

this will remove all the "default" margins and paddings and make things easier to control.

Also remember when you add paddings and margins to boxes this will affect the width of your box too.

hope this helps.

Member #
    tried that but prob still seems to be there. if i try reduce the size of the container there seems to be no effect on the problem. also if i increase the size of the div's inside the container it becomes too big for fire fox and alright in IE. real pain the *** problem!lol

cheers 4 the tips tho, i know that i could use less css but i'm still learning. lesson learned for next time

ciao

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    It might be a case of the you needing the box model hack.

Code:
    div.header {
      margin-right : 10px;
      width : 645px; /* < --------------------------------- */
      height : 160px;
      color : #aaa;
      background :  #ccc url('background1.jpg') no-repeat right;
      padding-left : 10px;
    }

* html div.header {
      width: 665px; /* < --------------------------------- */
      w\idth: 645px; /* < --------------------------------- */
    }
    I'm using the Simplified box Model Hack it's the same thing tho.

Whenever you have a width for a div and apply either margins, padding or borders, browsers interpret those differently. Firefox excludes them in the width as oppose to IE that includes them.
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    cheers karinne, i tried this and it is almost working, sorted out some probs but there still seems to big a big space in the header. seems to be if I fix the width for IE it looks bad in every other browser.

also notice that my shadow gif isn't centred, its about 2px to the right too much. anyway i can live with that. i#ll keep trying to get it but wondering if its worth the effort as i don't think i'm getting paid for this.

off subject.... what do you think the cost of this site to make would be???

cheers

Member #
    been trying out the box hack thang but i just can't get it to go wide enough (no idea why, probably the bad coding i have used). could anyone help me out? even with the box hack i seem to be about 10px short, only for the header in IE now tho.

thanks

Member #
    Not sure if this applies here, but I try to avoid padding and margin (i.e. set them to 0) when defining width; any problems this creates can typically be solved with an extra <div>.
    I am Alan Hogan (@alanhogan on Twitter). I like PHP, UI/UX design, and OS X.

Member #
    i have added a lot of probably unessesary margins and paddiing but thats because my shadow image wasn't centred and i then built on that. bad i dea i know but i'm still a novice. i'll try take as much padding out as possible and see how it goes, hopefully it'll fix it otherwise i'll just leave it cause for a free project it seems to be taking up too much time.

thanks man

Remove Ads