Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    It is CSS based but has a table design for the navigation. I wanted to know if there was a simpler way to design the webpage I did for a company. It took me about 2 months to create all of the pages based upon this design and when I was finished I copied one of the pages to create a template for myself. The major plus about this design is that it is both compatible with IE and Mozilla. However I was wondering if the pros could take a good look at my CSS and HTML code and possibly might recommend some shortcuts because making updates to this current webpage is a PAIN, and I feel that it should not be complicated. There's just too much code here! Thanks.

The urls are: http://www.design415.com/constructio...platever2.html

CSS FILE:
    http://www.design415.com/constructio.../tempstyle.css

Thanks. If this is the way it should be then I'll be on my way to design other pages like this!
    Also thanks to everyone on this forum who helped me to learn CSS better.

Peace,
    Deff Valtez

Member #
    very nice man, look good in FF but i would say i think the footer is mis-aligned. is ment to be centred??

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    What do you mean by making updates?
    To the content, or to the CSS style sheet?

Member #
    If you're going to be re-using this, my first suggestion is to translate it into XHTML compatible.

Next, I'd use background images for things like your header and the button backgrounds.

The code mentions something about menus going out, but that didn't happen.

Probably want to make certain aspect of the CSS relative or automatic, such as the size of the page for instance.

You're not using the best hierarchy of html. Best example would be menus: better to format a menu is using an unordered list, as opposed to a series of paragraphs.

I am sure there is more. I did not delve very deep into the CSS file because it's so long and I've already said a lot, but I did survey the whole of the HTML for this post.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim
    What do you mean by making updates?
    To the content, or to the CSS style sheet?
    mlseim, I meant making an update to the way I designed this website using CSS and HTML. I feel that there is a simpler way to do what I did using only CSS (and not a whole lot of CSS).

The backgrounds for the buttons are images. background-image: url(linkheader.gif);
    However, I am going to break up tempstyle.css into smaller css files for the navigation, HTML elements, and page layout because I agree it is too large.

I will make an XHTML version of my CSS/HTML template.

DCScene, what did you mean exactly about "Probably want to make certain aspect of the CSS relative or automatic, such as the size of the page"? What tags within the CSS should I focus on making it relative or automatic? Are you talking about the way that the layout is centered on the webpage?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by samsoner
    The backgrounds for the buttons are images. background-image: url(linkheader.gif);
    Okay, I see it now, I guess my previous comment was about the spacer.gif. (I didn't look that far into the CSS)

However, I am going to break up tempstyle.css into smaller css files for the navigation, HTML elements, and page layout because I agree it is too large.
    Good idea.

DCScene, what did you mean exactly about "Probably want to make certain aspect of the CSS relative or automatic, such as the size of the page"? What tags within the CSS should I focus on making it relative or automatic? Are you talking about the way that the layout is centered on the webpage?
    Let's start with height. Centering is not an issue (other than the footer as mentioned before my previous post).
    Shani

Member #
    What's with the double identity?
    Shani

Remove Ads