Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Text Border

Member #
    Is there a way to add a border to your text using css? Preferably something id based, so only the text with the id gets the border. If so, can someone give me the code or refer me to where I can get it?

Thanks

Member #
    Here is your css

Code:
    #someparagraph {
    border: 1px solid black;
    }
    Your xhtml

HTML Code:
    <p id="someparagraph">lorem ipsum</p>
    For more border info, http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_border.asp

Member #
    Thanks for your help, but that's not what I meant, I guess I worded myself wrong. I mean and actual physical outline of the edges of the words.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Only with a graphic image.

You can create a variety of types here:
    http://cooltext.com/

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Though you probably could, with some careful manipulation, overlay two divs onto each other with different text sizes to create the same effect. You'd have to change the letter-spacing property so that the letters of the bigger text are spaced the same as the letters of the smaller text, but it would be more or less simple. But then, you'd have to use some interesting positioning schemes to get the two to be on top of each other. Since divs are transparent by default, though, it should work.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfiend
    Though you probably could, with some careful manipulation, overlay two divs onto each other with different text sizes to create the same effect. You'd have to change the letter-spacing property so that the letters of the bigger text are spaced the same as the letters of the smaller text, but it would be more or less simple. But then, you'd have to use some interesting positioning schemes to get the two to be on top of each other. Since divs are transparent by default, though, it should work.
    You'd be damned lucky if that worked in multiple browsers... IE has a hard enough time rendering even simple CSS styles correctly, trying to position text over text down to the pixel would be extremely frustrating. I'd suggest taking the above advice and creating an image with the desired text effects.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hey, I didn't say it was a good idea, I just said it was doable :-P Though really, once you work around a bug or two, something as simple as positioning, especially when you're dealing with a specific predetermined font, shouldn't work out too nastily.

Remove Ads