Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi,
    I'm a novice in web design but recently took a shot at adapting a 3-column template for use in Blogger. It's up and running but I have two problems I was hoping someone could help me with. First, it doesn't display properly for folks with 800x600 resolutions. Second, it isn't fluid so when the window isn't maximized, the display is extremely distorted.
    The site is www.StudioUES.blogspot.com . If anyone could point me in the right direction as to how to remedy these problems, I'd really appreciate it.
    Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Wow ...
    It's a lot of content ... and several issues.

I would look at these things first.

1) Put all of your .css style sheet stuff in it's own .css file
    and reference it ... instead of putting it in your HTML web page.

2) All of the #content stuff defined just as one thing, and most
    importantly, given a fixed width. Like this:

#content{
    background-color: #ffffff;
    font-family: Arial, "MS Sans Serif", Geneva, sans-serif;
    font-weight: normal;
    padding: 0px 20px 0px 20px;
    width: 425px;
    font-size: 10pt;
    color: #000000;
    border-right: 1px solid #f7d794;
    text-align: justify;
    float: left;
    }

I don't see a need to define every object in the #content. If you add an image, define it's style locally to place it float: left; or float: right;

3) Too much content on the page. Display only the last 10 blog entries and
    let the visitor view ...more

Member #
    Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I'm still messing with it, but I ended up adjusting the container width, fixing the outer columns, and keeping the main content area fluid. When I tried setting the container width, I kept having problems with its alignment on the page and when it looked ok in IE, it was all messed up in Firefox. Anyway, the way I have it right now, the display is fluid so when I minimize the window it actually keeps everything intact (with a horizontal scroll bar). And I have removed a lot of the content from the main page so it's not so cumbersome...so, it's a work in progress but a definite improvement.
    Thanks a lot for taking the time to help!

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Very much improved!

But, you do realize that with my 800 pixel-wide browser,
    it extends beyond my screen ... so I have a horizontal scroll bar.

So, in effect, it's not fluid (doesn't adjust), but it still looks good.
    I just have to horizontal scroll.

There's some who argue that it's OK, since old people like me that
    have old browsers and small monitors are a thing of the past.

I'm not sure what the answer is .... but you're doing good.

Member #
    Yeah, I know I was torn about what to do. If I set the container small enough so that someone with an 800x600 resolution could view it without scrolling, the main content column was just way to small for my personal tastes (with only 2 columns, it would have been doable, but with 3, it's too much to squeeze in).

So, I looked at my visitor stats and less than 1% have resolutions at 800x600,
    so I decided that, rather than give up the 3 column template altogether (since most viewers have no trouble with it), I'd go for the compromise so at least folks with lower resolutions could see it intact, even if they had to scroll. (Oh, and sorry I meant to say in my last post that I had fixed all three columns - not kept the center one fluid - I had tried so many different options at that point I think I lost track of where I ended up!)

Anyway, for now I think I'll leave it as it is unless and until I can come up with a better alternative. Thanks a lot for your input!!

Remove Ads